Low GPA student deciding to take a gap year before LAW school, need some advice.

Manchai

Manchai
  • Applicant

Non-local student, neither U.S nor Canada. U.S undergrads, liberal arts college. Graduate on 2023 June.

Stats: Mehhh cGPA(3.2-3.3) presumably Okay L2 (3.7-3.8) Okay LSAT (took it last year, 167)

I feel I can still get into the 2023 fall circle, But I just think I don't want to jump into another hard-level study period after 17 years of studying. And my low GPA is largely due to my depression from the first and second years of my undergrad(going to write an addendum when I apply).  I really need one year to rest mentally for a year. And It's been two years since I haven't back to my home. (the pandemic)

I have okay work experience, working in multiple occupations before but still not participating in any law field yet. But I don't have any school activity to add to my application. I just don't feel comfortable socializing in school.  So I think one more year work experience will offset that?  And offset my low GPA for a bit? And one more year aiming for 170+ LSAT, maybe? And don't need to write my ps during course time?

I know I sound like I already made up my mind, but I really don't. Worried that the next circle will be harder, and feel left out. Not sure if I want to be a KJD or what. And one thing is, I don't have any target or dream school. Literally any Canadian law school is happy enough for me. A higher rank is fine, but I am exhausted by the low GPA pressure from my undergrad period. So I don't have any expectations for myself. Just happy where the admission will take me haha. 

48 minutes ago, Manchai said:

Non-local student, neither U.S nor Canada. U.S undergrads, liberal arts college. Graduate on 2023 June.

Stats: Mehhh cGPA(3.2-3.3) presumably Okay L2 (3.7-3.8) Okay LSAT (took it last year, 167)

I feel I can still get into the 2023 fall circle, But I just think I don't want to jump into another hard-level study period after 17 years of studying. And my low GPA is largely due to my depression from the first and second years of my undergrad(going to write an addendum when I apply).  I really need one year to rest mentally for a year. And It's been two years since I haven't back to my home. (the pandemic)

I have okay work experience, working in multiple occupations before but still not participating in any law field yet. But I don't have any school activity to add to my application. I just don't feel comfortable socializing in school.  So I think one more year work experience will offset that?  And offset my low GPA for a bit? And one more year aiming for 170+ LSAT, maybe? And don't need to write my ps during course time?

I know I sound like I already made up my mind, but I really don't. Worried that the next circle will be harder, and feel left out. Not sure if I want to be a KJD or what. And one thing is, I don't have any target or dream school. Literally any Canadian law school is happy enough for me. A higher rank is fine, but I am exhausted by the low GPA pressure from my undergrad period. So I don't have any expectations for myself. Just happy where the admission will take me haha. 

from Hong Kong?

theroaringbadger
  • Law School Admit
1 hour ago, Manchai said:

A 167 and a 3.7 L2 should make you good for Dal, Queens, Western at least. 

Manchai
  • Applicant
1 hour ago, luckycharm said:

from Hong Kong?

close enough 

1 hour ago, theroaringbadger said:

A 167 and a 3.7 L2 should make you good for Dal, Queens, Western at least. 

Thank youuu 🙂

soundofconfusion
  • Law Student
9 minutes ago, luckycharm said:

What is your stats per WES?

https://www.wes.org/ca/

OP is going to university in the US and presumably wouldn't need WES? Am I missing something? Very happy to be corrected if I'm wrong, of course.

Edited by soundofconfusion

1 hour ago, soundofconfusion said:

OP is going to university in the US and presumably wouldn't need WES? Am I missing something? Very happy to be corrected if I'm wrong, of course.

"Literally any Canadian law school is happy enough for me"

Manchai
  • Applicant
3 hours ago, soundofconfusion said:

Haha, thank you. I think I am gonna apply for both tho. But I sincerely don't know what that website is for.