Asking ex-prof or ex-TA for reference letter?

BaldMallard

BaldMallard
  • Applicant

I aced a class I really enjoyed 2 years ago but the prof that term was a temporary lecturer. I'm pretty sure he works as a full-time employee at a company and only teaches on-and-off. Is this okay? What would I fill into the address part of the referee on olsas?

BirdsArentReal
  • Law Student

If you are seeking an academic reference, you should let them know of that and use the title "professor" or "lecturer" (if available) on OLSAS. You can also point out in your email to them of what is required within the reference letter.

Address should not matter as long as the professor's letter aligns with whatever you input on the letter request from your end. 

• Like 1

BaldMallard
  • Applicant
1 hour ago, BirdsArentReal said:

If you are seeking an academic reference, you should let them know of that and use the title "professor" or "lecturer" (if available) on OLSAS. You can also point out in your email to them of what is required within the reference letter.

Address should not matter as long as the professor's letter aligns with whatever you input on the letter request from your end. 

Thanks for the help!

• By chance, do you know what the referee form asks of the referees exactly? What is in the form?
  • Please correct me if I'm wrong: The R1, R2, R3 designations indicate the letters you want to send to schools requiring a minimum of at least 1 reference letter. Regardless if the school asks for 1 or 2, all 3 get sent, right? And can I add more than 3 reference letters on file just in case and decide later on which 3 to use? 

BirdsArentReal
  • Law Student
35 minutes ago, BaldMallard said:

By chance, do you know what the referee form asks of the referees exactly? What is in the form?

I am not sure, but from my end I submitted the references contact information and they received a link to submit their letter. You will be able to see if the letter has been received through OLSAS.

37 minutes ago, BaldMallard said:

Please correct me if I'm wrong: The R1, R2, R3 designations indicate the letters you want to send to schools requiring a minimum of at least 1 reference letter. Regardless if the school asks for 1 or 2, all 3 get sent, right? And can I add more than 3 reference letters on file just in case and decide later on which 3 to use? 

I believe 3 is the max. You do not have a choice which reference letters get sent to which schools. Once you submit your applications, the schools get access to all three and may choose to only look at one or two of them, depending on their requirements. Some schools may opt to look at the first ones they see, granted they fill their requirements.

LSAC allows you to select specific reference letters for specific schools, but that is for American schools.

• Like 1

BaldMallard
  • Applicant
21 hours ago, BirdsArentReal said:

I am not sure, but from my end I submitted the references contact information and they received a link to submit their letter. You will be able to see if the letter has been received through OLSAS.

I believe 3 is the max. You do not have a choice which reference letters get sent to which schools. Once you submit your applications, the schools get access to all three and may choose to only look at one or two of them, depending on their requirements. Some schools may opt to look at the first ones they see, granted they fill their requirements.

LSAC allows you to select specific reference letters for specific schools, but that is for American schools.

Thank you a thousand times! 

• Like 1

BirdsArentReal
  • Law Student
17 minutes ago, BaldMallard said:

Thank you a thousand times! 

Good luck and feel free to DM if you require additional help 🙂