2022 vs 2021 cycle

Futurelawyer123

35 minutes ago, Futurelawyer123 said:

Is this cycle more competitive than last year or the same? 

Check Renerik’s post! 

Edited by Mustang

Renerik
  • Law Student

Both US and Canadian data suggests this cycle is much less competitive than last.
Applicant # and LSAT scores

image.png.2e9032ea6dd40f33c007fc0b2e329764.png

Application #

image.png

Applicants are down 8% overall and the LSAT score distribution shifted to the left (edit: lower overall). 

As @Mustang said, application #s are up but that's moreso a funky result of how LSAC updates their data. BC has one school and ON has two schools with a 100% increase in applications when comparing January 20 of this year versus last. Can't be certain, but I suspect this is because last year those three schools requested the bulk of their LSAT scores later in the cycle while this year they requested them earlier. So until we get to FEB or MAR, application #s will appear inflated. 

image.png

Source: https://report.lsac.org/VolumeSummary.aspx .

• Like 1

Futurelawyer123
7 minutes ago, Mustang said:

Last year law schools broke records for the amount of applicants, and the only year with more applicants than last year was this year. So in terms of number of applicants this cycle takes the cake. While that doesn’t mean peoples averages were higher it does mean the chances of that happening are higher, so take it as you will. 

Thanks, I saw at Osgoode the numbers went down though so might also depend on the school now that I think about it. 

BirdsArentReal
  • Law Student
20 minutes ago, Mustang said:

Last year law schools broke records for the amount of applicants, and the only year with more applicants than last year was this year. So in terms of number of applicants this cycle takes the cake. While that doesn’t mean peoples averages were higher it does mean the chances of that happening are higher, so take it as you will. 

Do you have a source?

Edit: Thank you Renerik! we posted at the same time I suppose.

Edited by Renerik
Mod comment: You're Welcome BirdsArentReal ;)

LordBONSAI
  • Applicant

On a side note, I think law schools will take some time to fully appreciate this decline. That partially explains why this cycle seems slow because adcomms are not seeing as many high scorers as in last year. It's likely after the Jan LSAT is released that they'll see the big picture. We may expect the bulk of acceptances going out somewhat late in the cycle.

Edited by LordBONSAI
  • Like 4