Chance me? cGPA: 3.05 (79% for UBC), L2/B2: 3.35, LSAT: 170

blackeye

blackeye
  • Applicant

Had a rough first two years of undergrad, hence my low cGPA. Third year was a 3.9 and fourth year is in that direction as well but isn't completed so it can't be included in the L2/B2 calculation (otherwise L2/B2 would be 3.9). Talked about the rough start in my applications.

Applied to UBC (index 91.54), Ryerson, Osgoode, Toronto, Western, Queens, Ottawa, Windsor. 

Would really like to get in this cycle. What are my chances? 

Edited by blackeye

LordBONSAI
  • Applicant

You have good chances for Queen's and Windsor. For Ottawa and Western, chances are lower due to your cGPA. 91.51 was historically competitive at UBC but the recent cycle saw more 92+ scorers so I'd say it will come down to your PS.

You have a shot at Osgoode with a decent PS and strong softs. UofT seems a long shot. Did you apply access or general? 

Edited by LordBONSAI

blackeye
  • Applicant
1 minute ago, LordBONSAI said:

You have very good chances for Queen's and Windsor. For Ottawa and Western, slightly lower chances due to your cGPA. 91.51 was historically competitive at UBC but the recent cycle saw more 92+ scorers so I'd say it will come down to your PS.

You have a shot at Osgoode with a decent PS and strong softs. UofT seems a long shot. 

Thank you! Honestly, just needed to hear (or read) someone say I'd get at least one acceptance. 

• 1 month later...
blackeye
  • Applicant
2 minutes ago, ElleofFrell said:

What are your B3?

Probably the same as my cGPA because I'm currently in my 4th year! But if you mean my current 4th year grades + two other years, it's around 3.46!

blackeye
  • Applicant
17 minutes ago, qsizzle said:

How did you get 79% for UBC GPA?

When I use the Allard calculator I get 73.5.

Are you including your drops to get to 79?

https://allard.ubc.ca/future-students/allard-law-ubc-percentage-gpa-conversion-tool

Yeah I included my drops! But my cGPA is better in % form than 4.0 scale because I'm on the higher end of the ranges for the 4.0 scale so it looks better in % form if that makes sense? Is your cGPA similar to mine on the 4.0 scale? 

Edited by blackeye
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, blackeye said:

Yeah I included my drops! But my cGPA is better in % form than 4.0 scale because I'm on the higher end of the ranges for the 4.0 scale so it looks better in % form if that makes sense? Is your cGPA similar to mine on the 4.0 scale?

Hey sorry I'm not really following what you're saying...

Using the calculator I posted they have a percentage for each 4.0 scale value.

I think I'm missing something.

I am also higher end of 4.0 scale so that's what drew my interest

Edited by qsizzle

blackeye
  • Applicant
5 hours ago, qsizzle said:

Hey sorry I'm not really following what you're saying...

Using the calculator I posted they have a percentage for each 4.0 scale value.

I think I'm missing something.

I am also higher end of 4.0 scale so that's what drew my interest

So my school offers grades in % form. My cGPA on the 4.0 scale is converted using OLSAS’s % ranges to translate each individual grade to the 4.0 scale and then average them out. 

For UBC, I didn’t need to use their conversion tool, the thing you linked, because I already have %s from my school. So, I just dropped the courses you drop and calculated. Does this help? 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, blackeye said:

So my school offers grades in % form. My cGPA on the 4.0 scale is converted using OLSAS’s % ranges to translate each individual grade to the 4.0 scale and then average them out. 

For UBC, I didn’t need to use their conversion tool, the thing you linked, because I already have %s from my school. So, I just dropped the courses you drop and calculated. Does this help? 

Gotcha now! Thanks!

blackeye
  • Applicant
3 hours ago, mjslava said:

I’m confused. How is a 3.05 cGPA a 79%?

Please read the thread above 🙂 definitely would not lie about my grades in % form if I told the truth in cGPA form. I’m on the higher end of the 4.0 to % conversions (like I got a 79 and not a 77 but they both translate to a 3.3). Plus, 79% includes drops.

mjslava
  • Applicant
26 minutes ago, blackeye said:

Please read the thread above 🙂 definitely would not lie about my grades in % form if I told the truth in cGPA form. I’m on the higher end of the 4.0 to % conversions (like I got a 79 and not a 77 but they both translate to a 3.3). Plus, 79% includes drops.

I’m not accusing you of lying. Not sure what gave you that impression. I just look at the UBC chart and my 3.5 shows up as 78%. I just do t understand the conversion and what was mentioned above didn’t help clarify that.

47 minutes ago, mjslava said:

I’m not accusing you of lying. Not sure what gave you that impression. I just look at the UBC chart and my 3.5 shows up as 78%. I just do t understand the conversion and what was mentioned above didn’t help clarify that.

OP's schools originally does percentage not 4.0 grades. So they have a 79% from their school. OSLAS converted that to the cGPA posted.

UBC will just take percentages from schools and not convert any further.

• Thanks 1

blackeye
  • Applicant
2 hours ago, mjslava said:

@qsizzle had the same question as you so i answered and figured that might help answer yours too. you can pm me if you’d like!!