Will large tattoos on my forearm hinder job prospects in the legal profession?

Lawhpefl10

Lawhpefl10
  • Law School Admit

Asking for a friend! Was just curious to see what firms and recruiters think of visible tattoos (its on my forearm so only visible in short sleeve shirt). Any input is appreciated!

Note: The tattoo is completely non-offensive and just a quote from a favourite philosopher of mine (it is large and covers my whole inner forearm though)

Lawhpefl10
  • Law School Admit
1 minute ago, Hegdis said:

They won’t see it unless you decide to show them. So non issue. 

I see, thanks for the feedback. Law has the reputation of being fairly formal so I guess I can assume by your comment there is not many situations where I would not be in a long sleeve dress shirt of some kind?

WhoKnows
  • Lawyer
32 minutes ago, Lawhpefl10 said:

I see, thanks for the feedback. Law has the reputation of being fairly formal so I guess I can assume by your comment there is not many situations where I would not be in a long sleeve dress shirt of some kind?

Buddy of mine in biglaw has a full backpiece... as long as it's coverable in front of clients you'll be fine even in the most formal places. 

• Like 1

Lawhpefl10
  • Law School Admit
2 minutes ago, WhoKnows said:

Buddy of mine in biglaw has a full backpiece... as long as it's coverable in front of clients you'll be fine even in the most formal places. 

Thanks for the advice. It definitely is coverable as it doesn’t even reach my watch band. Good to know it’s more about clients seeing it than coworkers.

Yeah I mean you decide to show it off, or you can be discreet.

I would suggest getting the job, learning the job, getting settled in the job, earning the various opinions you are entitled to, and then maybe one day mentioning or showing your tattoo. 

Trying to frame your ink as some kind of a litmus test is a bit backward. It’s a bit of a self defence mechanism, I would suggest. “They don’t GET me” kind of shit - when the person they hire might have full torso ink for all you know, right?

Tattoos are fine. Common even. Just don’t make it some kind of dramatic statement. One day six year from now Stuart in accounting might show you his full dagger-with-mermaid art down a full sleeve and you will realize this was never a Thing. 

• Like 1

easttowest
  • Lawyer

A partner at my Biglaw firm has two full sleeves. I plan on getting at least one. You’ll be fine. 

Edit: Ha. I actually do have a tattoo on my leg but literally never remember that it’s there. So I guess I already have a tattoo and it’s fine. 

Edited by easttowest

Diplock
  • Lawyer

With abbreviated subject lines in the menu, I legit thought he was asking about large tattoos on his forehead. Compared to that, you'll be fine.

Our Prime Minister has ink. I mean, come on.

I agree your biggest issue might be if you make it a problem on your own. Treating it like something you're expecting to define how people respond to you. It's not like you're wearing those big disks that stretch out your earlobes or something. If you don't care no one else will care either.

• Like 1

criminallyminded
  • Lawyer

I'm articling with MAG and I have tons of tattoos and some are visible when I roll up my sleeves, which I do all the time. No one seems to care. 

When in court, I'm in a suit and nothing is visible, so it's a non-issue.