What does "Referred" mean?

olala14

Hello, 

I recently checked my application and the status said:  Referred- Admissions Committee 

Can someone tell me what this means exactly? Should I be hearing a further answer soon?

Thank you!   

I just got that as well! I think it just means that your application is being analyzed but I've also seen a lot of posts saying it doesn't mean much. 

plsgod
  • Applicant

I've been lurking here for a week now trying to figure it out, referred a week ago.

In the December wave it looks like people received an acceptance 2-3 weeks after they were referred. But I'm reading other threads that say the 'referred' status lasted for months. 

I'm starting to think that in the latter case, they were actually waitlisted but adcomm just didn't bother changing the status. Based on the posts I've seen, nobody still waiting in July said they were referred in December. It looks like everyone who had 'referred' for months changed from pending in late-Jan/February.

Last summer, some people said their status switched straight from referred to accepted (after months as referred), with no intermediate 'waitlisted'... so I feel like I might be onto something? Who knows.

Edited by Scribble City

• 2 weeks later...
Sundin13
  • Applicant
On 2/4/2022 at 9:59 PM, Scribble City said:

I've been lurking here for a week now trying to figure it out, referred a week ago.

In the December wave it looks like people received an acceptance 2-3 weeks after they were referred. But I'm reading other threads that say the 'referred' status lasted for months. 

I'm starting to think that in the latter case, they were actually waitlisted but adcomm just didn't bother changing the status. Based on the posts I've seen, nobody still waiting in July said they were referred in December. It looks like everyone who had 'referred' for months changed from pending in late-Jan/February.

Last summer, some people said their status switched straight from referred to accepted (after months as referred), with no intermediate 'waitlisted'... so I feel like I might be onto something? Who knows.

Interesting observation! Have you heard back? I just got referred today…hoping to hear back in the next 2-3 weeks! 

Squeen
  • Applicant
36 minutes ago, Sundin13 said:

Interesting observation! Have you heard back? I just got referred today…hoping to hear back in the next 2-3 weeks! 

Being referred doesn't mean much other than your file is complete and will be reviewed soon. When I applied to Windsor last year, I was referred in March and i didn't heard back until July 1st. 

Sundin13
  • Applicant
1 minute ago, Squeen said:

Being referred doesn't mean much other than your file is complete and will be reviewed soon. When I applied to Windsor last year, I was referred in March and i didn't heard back until July 1st. 

Thanks for the insight! Sure seems like a really long time...did you happen to get an offer in July?

plsgod
  • Applicant
2 hours ago, Sundin13 said:

Got referred around January 28th if I can remember. I noticed that someone with really similar stats was referred a week before me, then accepted sometime this last week. The 4 week timeline is nothing to go by at all since Windsor is unpredictable, but who knows 🙂 I'm still sticking by my waitlist theory lol

Edited by Scribble City
  • LOL 1

Sevenup
  • Applicant
17 hours ago, Scribble City said:

Got referred around January 28th if I can remember. I noticed that someone with really similar stats was referred a week before me, then accepted sometime this last week. The 4 week timeline is nothing to go by at all since Windsor is unpredictable, but who knows 🙂 I'm still sticking by my waitlist theory lol

I agree with you. I was referred yesterday but didn't hope too much. This year some people on the waitlist thread in this forum have really great stats that should have been accepted based on last cycle's data. I guess that those who are put on the waitlist very early have bigger shot to be accepted later on. 

• Like 1