Rolling Admissions.. Chances?

User456

User456
  • Law School Admit

Hi all,

My application went complete December 6th, my stats are 3.85 and 162. I wrote a special facts optional essay. I haven't heard back and I am a bit concerned. I was under the impression that U of C was on rolling admissions meaning they would assess applications as they come in. My questions are:

1) are special facts put into a different category to be assessed and that is why it's taking longer than usual? I know this is not a separate category 

2) do I have a good chances getting in? I work full time in the legal field and have good EC's (worked full time through undergrad, have a legal diploma, legal degree, volunteer, and a communicated reason to attend law school). I thought my stats would be high enough to hear back, since I applied in the earlier cycle. I think my statement and special facts are good (obviously biased) and I heard back from TRU in 4 days. 

I am probably panicking and I am trying to stay calm, but seeing apps accepted that went finalized in January with similar stats is making me anxious, maybe they hated my statement lol.  

Hey,

1) I put special factors and got my acceptance today so that shouldn't matter.

2) I think your stats and EC's are great. I'm not sure why some are looked at first and others after. If I had to guess it'd be an equation of gpa and lsat that puts some people to the top and others to the bottom. Your slightly lower lsat may have you lower on the list.

But rolling admissions is definitely not first come first serve... It's more: we accept Ted today John tommorow and Tina Thursday.

That being said, take a deep breath and relax. It's still early in the cycle, and Jan scores were just released. But my thoughts are you get in.

Also is your gpa L2 3.85? or cgpa?

User456
  • Law School Admit
1 minute ago, qsizzle said:

Hey,

1) I put special factors and got my acceptance today so that shouldn't matter.

2) I think your stats and EC's are great. I'm not sure why some are looked at first and others after. If I had to guess it'd be an equation of gpa and lsat that puts some people to the top and others to the bottom. Your slightly lower lsat may have you lower on the list.

But rolling admissions is definitely not first come first serve... It's more: we accept Ted today John tommorow and Tina Thursday.

That being said, take a deep breath and relax. It's still early in the cycle, and Jan scores were just released. But my thoughts are you get in.

This was really helpful, thank you. Trying to be patient, it's such a long and stressful process. I wish they called (TRU did) so I didn't have to check the portal daily, probably not helping the anxiety lol. 

Congrats on your acceptance!!!

User456
  • Law School Admit

Thank you 🙂 but it's a nice feeling when you check randomly and see that green checkmarky boi.

Is your gpa stat cgpa or L2?

I bet! I am going to have to start manifesting a green check mark.

It is my L2! I didn't apply to any schools with CGPA since I also have a diploma it was too annoying to calculate, and also want to stay in Alberta if possible. 

The offical term is green checkmarky boi*. 😝

What is your cgpa? It may be why your application hasnt been looked at yet. I know Calgary doesn't use it for acceptance, but it may play a factor when your application is looked at.

Edited by qsizzle

User456
  • Law School Admit

The offical term is green checkmarky boi*. 😝

What is your cgpa? It may be why your application hasnt been looked at yet. I know Calgary doesn't use it for acceptance, but it may play a factor when your application is looked at.

Really? In the seminars I attended I was sure they said the opposite. I don't know my CGPA. I imagine it is lower, around 3.6.