I dropped my undergraduate thesis during the pandemic and there are multiple "IP"'s on my final transcript. Will this look really bad for me?

Willowrion

Willowrion
  • Applicant

I know that my GPA is competitive for the school I am looking to apply to (above the median by quite a bit), but I am worried about how my transcript looks. When I was completing my undergraduate degree, I decided not to complete my honours thesis. I am a low-income student who did not own a laptop and I was using the school's computers to complete the research. When the pandemic happened, I did not have access to any of my work for months through the lockdown in my area. I was completely thrown off. When things settled down, I had already received a full-ride acceptance to a masters program and did not have time to complete the thesis if I wanted to attend my masters. Since the masters had already accepted me, I decided I was not going to turn down the offer and decided to drop my undergraduate thesis. Although I am now almost graduated with my MA and am ready to apply for law school, I look back on my undergraduate transcript and cringe. The last 4 credits are all thesis credits that are listed as "IP", or "incomplete". It looks messy and embarrassing.

Note: The school that I am applying to and mainly interested in apparently does not count "W" in the GPA and overlooks them. I just don't know if this is the same for the "IP" on my transcript.

Do you think this will impact my chances of getting in? Is this something that I should explain in an addendum? Will a successful MA transcript show that I was able to overcome some of the difficulties I faced during the end of the pandemic? Will this be a deal breaker for me?

Willowrion
  • Applicant
12 minutes ago, NowOrNever said:

What are your GPA and LSAT score?

You should be fine.

I haven't taken the LSAT yet (I'm applying for the 2023 cycle) but my GPA is 3.98/4.3. 

5 minutes ago, Willowrion said:

I haven't taken the LSAT yet (I'm applying for the 2023 cycle) but my GPA is 3.98/4.3. 

Your MA GPA will be good as well, right?

Which law schools will you apply to?

Willowrion
  • Applicant
4 minutes ago, NowOrNever said:

Your MA GPA will be good as well, right?

Which law schools will you apply to?

I haven't calculated my MA gpa yet (haven't completed yet) but so far I've only received A+ as final grades and I am halfway through.

Might be silly, but I'm actually only looking to apply to one law school: Dal.

46 minutes ago, Willowrion said:

I haven't calculated my MA gpa yet (haven't completed yet) but so far I've only received A+ as final grades and I am halfway through.

Might be silly, but I'm actually only looking to apply to one law school: Dal.

Getting into Dal should be easy for you.

If your MA gpa is A / A+ you may only need a 157+ LSAT score to get in.

Also you can explain your undergraduate transcript in your personal statement.

Good luck!