Rejected prior to LSAT score updating

LlamaBarista

LlamaBarista
  • Applicant

Hey all,

I received a status update this morning saying that the school was unable to offer me admissions but the portal shows that my LSAT official result is Awaiting/incomplete. I only took the Jan 22 LSAT and was wondering if I was rejected prior to them getting my LSAT score. 

My cGPA is around 3.8, L20 is >3.9, and my LSAT (1 take - Jan 22) is 16mid, which I feel should be competitive compared to last year's admissions (at least warrant a waitlist spot?). I met all the deadlines, and double checked the LSAC account number to make sure its right. 

The update says that admission decisions cannot be appealed so I was just wondering if it is even worth it to contact admissions to see what went wrong.

Thanks everyone

jakethelegalsnake
  • Law School Admit

That's interesting, I wasn't aware uAlberta had even begun sending out rejections. Even more interesting is the fact that your stats, if calculated correctly, seem very competitive; so I'm not sure why they would reject you at all, let alone so early in the cycle. Can you think of any other reason you might've been rejected? Academic misconduct or something like that? Was your personal statement solid?

Edited by jakethelegalsnake

LlamaBarista
  • Applicant

As far as I know, my personal statement is pretty decent, just the usual work/volunteer history and extracurricular. No misconduct at all. The only reason I could maybe think of is that I submitted on the day of Feb 1 (which the website says I was allowed to do until 11:59pm)

Ital
  • Law School Admit
15 minutes ago, LlamaBarista said:

Hey all,

I received a status update this morning saying that the school was unable to offer me admissions but the portal shows that my LSAT official result is Awaiting/incomplete. I only took the Jan 22 LSAT and was wondering if I was rejected prior to them getting my LSAT score. 

My cGPA is around 3.8, L20 is >3.9, and my LSAT (1 take - Jan 22) is 16mid, which I feel should be competitive compared to last year's admissions (at least warrant a waitlist spot?). I met all the deadlines, and double checked the LSAC account number to make sure its right. 

The update says that admission decisions cannot be appealed so I was just wondering if it is even worth it to contact admissions to see what went wrong.

Thanks everyone

I would email or call them, regardless if it says the decision cannot be appealed. Worst case they say they cannot help, but it's worth a shot.

• Like 2

jakethelegalsnake
  • Law School Admit
2 minutes ago, LlamaBarista said:

As far as I know, my personal statement is pretty decent, just the usual work/volunteer history and extracurricular. No misconduct at all. The only reason I could maybe think of is that I submitted on the day of Feb 1 (which the website says I was allowed to do until 11:59pm)

I agree with Ital, send them a call or an email. There's gotta be something going on other than your stats, so it wouldn't hurt at this point to ask. Be aware you might not receive a response for awhile, if at all though. 

24 minutes ago, LlamaBarista said:

Hey all,

Thanks everyone

uAlberta miscalculated people's GPA in the past.

Check with them.

Good luck!

• Like 1

EmbeddedClause
  • Law Student
1 hour ago, LlamaBarista said:

This is probably a stretch, but did you submit your statement before 11:59PM Mountain Time? I know there was a little bit of a delay between when I uploaded mine and when it was checked off as received...

I'm sorry you have to deal with this, and I hope you're able talk to someone in admissions about it. Let us know what they say if you do!

Someone else posted earlier today saying that UAlberta confirmed they had received their January LSAT score, even though it was still not checked off on Launchpad.

Good luck!!

Edited by EmbeddedClause

Whist
  • Law Student

I've never heard of UofA rejecting this early. That being said, they restructured their admissions process last year. In any case you have nothing to lose by reaching out to them to see if there was a technical issue behind this. Good luck!

LlamaBarista
  • Applicant

Hey everyone! Thanks for all the advice, but I think I figured out the issue.

I contacted U of A admissions and found out that it was a problem with my score on LSAC. Apparently it was because for the January 2022 LSAT, I had to click Keep score/ Cancel score before they are sent out to schools for admission considerations. (Which is really really weird because I declined/ never purchased the score preview option, I just assumed that it was going to go through). I'll try contacting admissions but even if I can't appeal U of A's decision at least it saved the rest of my applications!

Once again, thanks everyone for giving me advice, I really appreciate it. 

tl;dr: I made a dumb mistake and didn't check my LSAC account thoroughly. (In my defense, they should've sent an email or reminder about it lol)

• Hugs 4

BirdsArentReal
  • Law Student
2 minutes ago, LlamaBarista said:

I contacted U of A admissions and found out that it was a problem with my score on LSAC. Apparently it was because for the January 2022 LSAT, I had to click Keep score/ Cancel score before they are sent out to schools for admission considerations. (Which is really really weird because I declined/ never purchased the score preview option, I just assumed that it was going to go through). I'll try contacting admissions but even if I can't appeal U of A's decision at least it saved the rest of my applications!

tl;dr: I made a dumb mistake and didn't check my LSAC account thoroughly. (In my defense, they should've sent an email or reminder about it lol)

Dang I have never see this happen before... I wish your appeal/other applications well 🙂 

Edited by BirdsArentReal
  • Like 1

User456
  • Law School Admit
18 hours ago, LlamaBarista said:

Hey everyone! Thanks for all the advice, but I think I figured out the issue.

Once again, thanks everyone for giving me advice, I really appreciate it. 

Did you do the re-write by chance? I had to do this as well because I re-wrote due to tech issues. I did get email reminders thankfully.