Chances? cGPA 3.1 L2 3.3 LSAT 157

sandibay

sandibay
  • Law School Admit

Tbh, I wrote the LSAT for the first time in November and got a 157, so I assume I won't get in this year and I'm preparing to rewrite the LSAT in April or June. I applied to UofA and UofC (under black category) this cycle, and plan to extend my applications to Osgoode, UofT, Ryerson, Western, Queens, UBC and UVic next cycle. 

What are my chances if I bring my LSAT score to 165? (aiming for higher but this is what I'm PTing at right now)

Other details/softs: I finished undergrad in 2017 and completed an MA in 2018. During undergrad I spent a summer in Spain at a Spanish language school, and another semester in the UK on an exchange. I've been working in tech since finishing my MA. I worked at IBM for almost 3 years and currently work in marketing for another tech company. I also have consistent volunteer experience with children, the elderly, immigrants and writing grants for non-profits, spanning the past 5 years.

My only real excuse for my low GPA is that I had to work throughout my undergrad due to familial circumstances causing my attention was split. I'm currently taking additional undergraduate courses as an open studies student at UofC (and other schools) encouraged this to bring up your GPA. I at least hope that getting A's in these courses proves that I'm more capable academically than I was when I graduated at 21. 

Thanks!

lawandordermaker
  • Law Student

I think you'd have a great chance, just apply broadly. I'd apply to every school in Canada, especially if you can't get a 165 and get a low 160 instead. They're looking for black applicants. 

mj1995
  • Applicant
On 2/9/2022 at 11:32 AM, lawandordermaker said:

I think you'd have a great chance, just apply broadly. I'd apply to every school in Canada, especially if you can't get a 165 and get a low 160 instead. They're looking for black applicants. 

this is for sure some misinformation. Schools are not looking for black applicants they are looking for applicants that meet statistics and can diversify themselves on not only their ethnicity but their work experience, volunteer experience, community involvement etc. I am not saying your race does not differentiate you I am also a POC but it does not guarantee you or make you a more successful applicant over someone else. 

On 2/9/2022 at 8:57 AM, shay said:

Tbh, I wrote the LSAT for the first time in November and got a 157, so I assume I won't get in this year and I'm preparing to rewrite the LSAT in April or June. I applied to UofA and UofC (under black category) this cycle, and plan to extend my applications to Osgoode, UofT, Ryerson, Western, Queens, UBC and UVic next cycle. 

What are my chances if I bring my LSAT score to 165? (aiming for higher but this is what I'm PTing at right now)

Other details/softs: I finished undergrad in 2017 and completed an MA in 2018. During undergrad I spent a summer in Spain at a Spanish language school, and another semester in the UK on an exchange. I've been working in tech since finishing my MA. I worked at IBM for almost 3 years and currently work in marketing for another tech company. I also have consistent volunteer experience with children, the elderly, immigrants and writing grants for non-profits, spanning the past 5 years.

My only real excuse for my low GPA is that I had to work throughout my undergrad due to familial circumstances causing my attention was split. I'm currently taking additional undergraduate courses as an open studies student at UofC (and other schools) encouraged this to bring up your GPA. I at least hope that getting A's in these courses proves that I'm more capable academically than I was when I graduated at 21. 

Thanks!

what is your L20? Why didn't you consider applying to USask or TRU? 

Boozey
  • Law Student
5 hours ago, mj1995 said:

this is for sure some misinformation. Schools are not looking for black applicants they are looking for applicants that meet statistics and can diversify themselves on not only their ethnicity but their work experience, volunteer experience, community involvement etc. I am not saying your race does not differentiate you I am also a POC but it does not guarantee you or make you a more successful applicant over someone else. 

Actually, some law schools do have specific categories for black students to apply, which can have differing admission requirements from the general category. So no, it is not misinformation. 

Example: https://www.law.utoronto.ca/bsap

mj1995
  • Applicant
4 hours ago, Boozey said:

Actually, some law schools do have specific categories for black students to apply, which can have differing admission requirements from the general category. So no, it is not misinformation. 

Example: https://www.law.utoronto.ca/bsap

I did not mean to come across as rude or judgemental my apologies, I just interpreted your statement as saying being a black applicant can make up for a lower GPA/LSAT score. The link you posted for U of T law even says "You must meet the same LSAT and academic requirements for admission that we seek from all candidates" meaning a lower LSAT score does cannot be compensated in the BSAP stream. I am also a POC and i have filled out multiple diversity forms for the upcoming year and I still make sure to meet the requirements / be a competitive candidate.

U of C

https://law.ucalgary.ca/future-students/admissions-jd-programs/future-black-students

"We start by considering your application using our regular competitive criteria"

I have no doubt law schools are looking for black candidates, and that they bring an extremely important perspective to law. I just took your comment as saying the stream makes up for having lower stats when I don't think based on what i've seen that it does. 

Edited by mj1995
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, mj1995 said:

what is your L20? Why didn't you consider applying to USask or TRU? 

That's not misinformation, I've heard it directly from people who work in admissions for an Ontario law school. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, MM2 said:

That's not misinformation, I've heard it directly from people who work in admissions for an Ontario law school. 

I think you are correct.

Even Queen's Accelerated Route to Medical School-QuARMS changed their applicants eligibility:

https://www.queensu.ca/admission/pathways-and-policies/quarms

Before last year, it says this:

"QuARMS offers 10 exceptional high school students a unique two-year undergraduate educational opportunity that prepares them for direct-entry into Queen’s School of Medicine. "

mj1995
  • Applicant
2 hours ago, NowOrNever said:

I think you are correct.

Even Queen's Accelerated Route to Medical School-QuARMS changed their applicants eligibility:

https://www.queensu.ca/admission/pathways-and-policies/quarms

Before last year, it says this:

"QuARMS offers 10 exceptional high school students a unique two-year undergraduate educational opportunity that prepares them for direct-entry into Queen’s School of Medicine. "

You are comparing a different stream, in a different field that has history for its creation and completely different admission requirements. Queens admission criteria for the black students access category for the faculty of law:

https://www.queensu.ca/academic-calendar/law/admissions/#:~:text=Black Student Applicant Category&text=To be competitive in the,score of at least 155.

"To be competitive in the admission process, an applicant should have at least a B+...." I have no doubt black students bring so much to the table even in the Queens stream the requirements are slightly lower (B+/155 compared to on their website for regular applicants A-/157) but that does not mean an applicant should not remain competitive or can compensate. It means this is an extra unique perspective about you as a candidate and an addition to your profile not that you can have low stats. A candidate should remain competitive. 

For your comment on Queens Medical School.. they banned black students for 40 years:

https://inkspire.org/post/how-queens-school-of-medicine-barred-black-students-for-40-years/-M2ix2zV7yw8Y-V--XUQ

They wrote about how they are attempting to make up for their negligence and this ban was not overturned until fairly recently

"It wasn’t until 2018, at the joint efforts of Thomas and Bartholomew’s family that Queen’s formally repealed the ban. On April 16th, the School of Medicine issued a formal apology for the expulsion of the 15 black medical students already enrolled at the time of the ban." 

"It has also developed an award for black medical students to address the underrepresentation of blacks in the healthcare profession."

Your post for Queens is also about a completely different stream QuARMS that is not offered for law applicants. You also wrote on your post  

"QuARMS offers 10 exceptional high school students a unique two-year undergraduate educational opportunity that prepares them for direct-entry into Queen’s School of Medicine. " meaning that this stream does also not compensate for academic performance. 

https://meds.queensu.ca/academics/quarms/faqs

Edited by mj1995