US to Canadian Law School

unknown24

unknown24
  • Applicant

I am curious if anyone initially went to a US law school and transferred to a Canadian law school for 2nd year? Is it worth applying and then trying to transfer - I know only some credits would transfer but would it be a more competitive application if GPA is good after first year than say trying to apply straight to Canadian law schools? My cGPA and LSAT are not great but I did apply Access/Mature where applicable. Despite those I did think I had a decent enough score in conjunction with some of the other elements of my application to at least put me in the running but now I am not so sure as we approach mid-Feb!

TIA

QueensDenning
  • Articling Student

It might be possible, but do you want to bet $60K USD on it? I wouldn’t… 

What is your GPA and LSAT ?? 

Edited by QueensDenning

Lawstudents20202020
  • Lawyer

I know a couple of TRU students that transferred in from US schools, so it can be done. I believe they had to take extra courses in 1L, constitutional for sure and maybe a few others. 

• Thanks 1

unknown24
  • Applicant
1 hour ago, QueensDenning said:

It might be possible, but do you want to bet $60K USD on it? I wouldn’t… 

What is your GPA and LSAT ?? 

True enough… 

cGPA: Undergrad 3.37 Graduate 3.5 LSAT 157. so stats are not strong

applying as access/mature where applicable for extenuating circumstances explaining not so stellar undergrad grades. 

work experience as OCJ clerk and bail supervisor at John Howard. 

Volunteer experience with John Howard and other justice involved initiatives.

references: one academic one OCJ Judge 

owl12
  • Applicant
On 2/13/2022 at 8:38 AM, unknown24 said:

True enough… 

cGPA: Undergrad 3.37 Graduate 3.5 LSAT 157. so stats are not strong

applying as access/mature where applicable for extenuating circumstances explaining not so stellar undergrad grades. 

work experience as OCJ clerk and bail supervisor at John Howard. 

Volunteer experience with John Howard and other justice involved initiatives.

references: one academic one OCJ Judge 

The LSAT sucks, but it’s probably smarter to redo the lsat and score mid 160s and get a Canadian admission than to pay US fees and try to transfer. It’s a high risk strategy. If you don’t do well your first year in law school, you’re kinda stuck then. 

Edit to add:

Explaining away subpar grades is much easier when you have a good/great LSAT. Trying to convince the admission committee that your GPA doesn’t reflect your academic capabilities while touting an LSAT score that is below average for almost all Canadian law schools isn’t a strategy I’d rely on. 

Edited by owl12
  • Like 1