LSAT 152, 151 (Jan 2022) GPA 3.85, L2 3.94

shawarmalaw

shawarmalaw
  • Law Student

I am posting here because I am pretty sure I have no chance of getting accepted. I was scoring really well on my practice exams for LSAT but the games section for Jan 2022 did not serve me well. I took a year off specifically to do well on the LSAT and get my chances up for osgoode but it didn’t happen. I am very discouraged but I have an offer from Ottawa already. Last year I got accepted into Windsor and lakehead and declined both for better schools. 

I really wanted to try to score good jobs in Toronto big firms but I read Ottawa students do not really get those jobs compared to Toronto schools. Should I be accepting my offer or give the LSAT another try? I know my gpa is decent but the LSAT has given me so much struggle and it made just take what I can get. I heard transferring is really difficult and need amazing marks and I don’t wanna doubt my abilities but I want to be realistic. Any advice would help 🙂 

thanks in advance !

As someone applying to law school and who has a cousin who is a lawyer. The advice that I got was it really doesn't matter where you go. [Yes, I understand it matters to some degree but what I was told is when he reviews applicants he says that as-long as you go to a Canadian law school its good. If you go to a foreign law school it raises questions on why you even left and from his experience they always have a bad experience so they don't hire them].  You say that more people go to big jobs from Toronto then Ottawa but is that really because of that school or is that just a correlation of the demographic of the people who go to either school. Hey, a bonus of Ottawa is you live right beside Gatineau so you can hone your French which can open multiple doors.

Don't take my advice as certainty. You should do a lot of research, look at the threads, look up youtube videos on the schools, email the schools, go on linkedin and message people who went there (why not, what do you have to lose?). 

Edited by Eathwens
  • Like 1

Pendragon
  • Lawyer

It is up to you but do you really want to waste another year in the hopes that you do better on the LSAT and get into Osgoode. I know people who turned down Osgoode for uOttawa and they are working in Toronto Big law. Many uOttawa grads also work in Big law firms in other major cities. Once you have some experience under your belt, it is not difficult going to Bay Street. 

No one here can tell you what to do because only you know whether you have the potential to score higher on the LSAT, and only you know whether you can afford to take another year off. Im my opinion, you're just delaying your life from getting started. There is no guarantee you will land Big law from Osgoode. If you wanted the highest chances, you should be aiming to get into U of T. 

shawarmalaw
  • Law Student
7 minutes ago, Pendragon said:

It is up to you but do you really want to waste another year in the hopes that you do better on the LSAT and get into Osgoode. I know people who turned down Osgoode for uOttawa and they are working in Toronto Big law. Many uOttawa grads also work in Big law firms in other major cities. Once you have some experience under your belt, it is not difficult going to Bay Street. 

No one here can tell you what to do because only you know whether you have the potential to score higher on the LSAT, and only you know whether you can afford to take another year off. Im my opinion, you're just delaying your life from getting started. There is no guarantee you will land Big law from Osgoode. If you wanted the highest chances, you should be aiming to get into U of T. 

Hey thank you for your advice and I went to uoft for undergrad and it’s the shortest school for mental health

1 hour ago, shawarmalaw said:

I am posting here because I am pretty sure I have no chance of getting accepted. I was scoring really well on my practice exams for LSAT but the games section for Jan 2022 did not serve me well. I took a year off specifically to do well on the LSAT and get my chances up for osgoode but it didn’t happen. I am very discouraged but I have an offer from Ottawa already. Last year I got accepted into Windsor and lakehead and declined both for better schools. 

I really wanted to try to score good jobs in Toronto big firms but I read Ottawa students do not really get those jobs compared to Toronto schools. Should I be accepting my offer or give the LSAT another try? I know my gpa is decent but the LSAT has given me so much struggle and it made just take what I can get. I heard transferring is really difficult and need amazing marks and I don’t wanna doubt my abilities but I want to be realistic. Any advice would help 🙂 

thanks in advance !

Thank you for the advice I really appreciate it where did your cousin go

50 minutes ago, shawarmalaw said:

Hey thank you for your advice and I went to uoft for undergrad and it’s the shortest school for mental health

Thank you for the advice I really appreciate it where did your cousin go

He went to Osgoode in the early 2000's. So he can't really comment on the institution now but he is a partner now and reviews articling students applying. You should ask yourself. Why a Toronto school over Ottawa in terms of the school itself not the success of students coming out. The program, courses, teachers, clinics, etc. 

shawarmalaw
  • Law Student
2 hours ago, Eathwens said:

He went to Osgoode in the early 2000's. So he can't really comment on the institution now but he is a partner now and reviews articling students applying. You should ask yourself. Why a Toronto school over Ottawa in terms of the school itself not the success of students coming out. The program, courses, teachers, clinics, etc. 

ask what exactly? I don’t know how many people from Ottawa applied to big law I would assume a lot go to big law than expected and it doesn’t have to be in Toronto. I think the education in every Canadian law school is a quality education, at the end of the day like @pendragon said I can never know if I will land a big law job going to osgoode bc uoft is better at that than osgoode but at this point I’m just gonna be happy I got into a Canadian law school bc there are a lot of people that go to UK because they didn’t get in here. Hopefully my law degree will be utilized in a good way because experience after getting into the field trumps the school you went to and marks 

mj1995
  • Applicant
On 2/9/2022 at 9:44 AM, shawarmalaw said:

thanks in advance !

if it helps at all I applied to every single law school last year with a 4.0 and a 155 and got in nowhere its great to try! and I wish you the best. I would take the offer from Ottawa thats amazing and you should be proud. 

Edited by mj1995