one year deferral

ramoj

Does anyone have experience deferring for one year at Ottawa? I was accepted for this coming fall, although got into two highly coveted masters programs in US (Harvard/ Princeton) and UK (Oxbridge/LSE).

Not sure sure with my stats if I will get into any other schools -- 156 LSAT, 3.8 CGPA, 3.97 B2 (applied Osgoode, Queens, UBC, Ottawa).

emailed the required email and have not yet heard back.

any comments on this process would be great, TIA. 

Edited by jomar

• 1 month later...
dimsum1
  • Law School Admit

OP, has Ottawa got back to you about the deferral?  I'm also requesting a deferral and emailed them in mid-March.  I didn't hear anything so I emailed them again a few days ago.

goosie
  • Lawyer

I don't go to Ottawa or Osgoode and never sought a deferral, so I'm happy to be corrected on this by someone who knows more than I do, but my understanding is that deferrals for law schools are generally only granted in very extraordinary (typically medical or compassionate) circumstances. Like @RC51 suggested, I'd call the registrar directly to ask, but just to let you know deferrals are pretty hard to secure, and it might explain why you won't get much advice on here about securing one since they're uncommon.

Ben
  • Law Student

I was given a deferral for almost identical reasons at another school. Obviously YMMV but the process was pretty straightforward and admin was happy to do it. 

Frankie576
  • Law Student

I deferred at UOttawa for one year, albeit for their French program, for similar reasons! Can’t see it being a problem. Probably best to contact someone in the law dept directly rather than the Registrar’s Office though. 

dimsum1
  • Law School Admit

I just got my deferral approved from Ottawa today.  

@jomar it's all being done through the comlaw email address.  

• 2 weeks later...
Darthvader
  • Applicant

@Mia What reasons did you have to give? Are your stats super high? - Does working at a new job for an additional year to save for law school accepted as a valid reason?

Mia
  • Law Student
3 hours ago, Darthvader said:

@Mia What reasons did you have to give? Are your stats super high? - Does working at a new job for an additional year to save for law school accepted as a valid reason?

I was 100% honest, and let them know that I had accepted the MPPA offer before receiving the offer from Osgoode. I provided a detailed account of how starting at Osgoode following the completion of the MPPA would strengthen my candidacy for summer positions in law school, ultimately arguing that it would significantly help me to realize my career aspirations. I also mentioned as a side note, that a deferral would provide me with more time to save up as I am paying for law school independently. I referenced my personal statement that discussed economic barriers.

My CGPA is 3.88 and my LSAT score is 161.  

Tbh I don't believe that would be accepted as a valid reason but it doesn't hurt to submit a request.

• Like 1