UdeM JD

Lettuce

Lettuce
  • Law Student

I'm wondering if anyone on here has completed the JD path during their time at UdeM law. From what I understand, it is only available to university applicants and requires you to take a certain number of summer courses in order to finish on time. To anyone who has done it: what was the process like? Was it worth taking summer courses and potentially interrupting summer jobs/vacations? Do you find your JD useful? 

This is if you want to finish your JD and LLB in 3 years! But you can also only do your LLB in 3 years then complete only the JD in one year after graduating. Personally, this is what I will do, because I heard a lot of people saying that doing the joint program is extremely challenging and may prevent you from internships and other community involvement due to lack of time. I always think that having a JD is beneficial, since it gives you the opportunity to leave the province if need be.

• 3 weeks later...
Civil2Common
  • Lawyer

While I don't have much knowledge of the JD at UdeM, I will mention that there are also other options you might want to look into (for example, doing a 1-year JD at Osgoode, which I think actually has a JD-LLB partnership with UdeM. There is also a one year program at Queens or even U Victoria if you want to go out West for a change). Doing a 1-year JD in a common law province may carry more weight if you intend to practice law in that province rather than Quebec. UdeS also offers a JD over two summers, whereby many students will complete that program during the summers following their second and 3rd year of their civil law program. Just things to consider. 🙂

• Like 2