Finding an associate after articling

Peerraault

Peerraault
  • Articling Student

Hello all,

I am woking at a firm (in Toronto) that I don't plan to go back after articling. I recently started looking for first-year association position but found that almost all of online posts require more than 3 years' experience and are not the practice that I am interested in. Some of them even specify that NO new call-to-the-bars.

So for those who didn't go back to their articling firm, how long did it take for you to find your association job? And how did you find it, online application, networking, etc.?

Any suggestions or info are welcome.

Thanks.

cherrytree
  • Lawyer

From recent threads I've seen on the forum, the appetite for new calls can vary greatly depending on the practice area (e.g., insurance defence seems to be more open to hiring new calls). It probably wouldn't hurt to find a legal recruiter on LinkedIn who's willing to have a quick chat with you, so you can get info on what the employment market looks like for your practice area(s) of interest.

Aureliuse
  • Lawyer
On 2/12/2022 at 12:09 PM, Peerraault said:

So for those who didn't go back to their articling firm, how long did it take for you to find your association job? And how did you find it, online application, networking, etc.?

First of all, it's not a race to see who lands a job after articling first. Take your time, especially during the Covid-19 Pandemic.  Don't give yourself the added pressure.

Right now, networking is difficult due to everyone working and hosting events remotely. You can try to speak to your former professors who happen to be practitioners to see if they know  anyone who is looking for a junior.

I suggest looking at the OBA Careers Section, Indeed.ca, Linkedin Jobs, Ontario Reports (published every Wednesday, look under Careers). Occasionally, local bar associations (Halton, Peel, Durham, Hamilton etc.) post jobs too. Some lawyers' aggregate twitter accounts post jobs too (I know one for family law).

Alternatively, get in touch with a recruiter on Linkedin to see if he or she may know someone who is hiring.

Good luck!