Windsor Law for Sports & Entertainment Law?

LawyerNoah

LawyerNoah
  • Applicant

Hi,

I was recently offered admission to the single Windsor Law JD program. As someone who plans to pursue Sports and Entertainment law with their degree in the future, I was wondering if the Windsor Law JD program (not dual) is a good school to help prepare me for that area of law? 

I know Western has great internship opportunities for Sports and Entertainment but I am still waiting to hear back from them regarding my application. Any feedback or responses are much appreciated. Thanks!

Darth Vader
  • Lawyer
Just now, LawyerNoah said:

Hi,

I was recently offered admission to the single Windsor Law JD program. As someone who plans to pursue Sports and Entertainment law with their degree in the future, I was wondering if the Windsor Law JD program (not dual) is a good school to help prepare me for that area of law? 

I know Western has great internship opportunities for Sports and Entertainment but I am still waiting to hear back from them regarding my application. Any feedback or responses are much appreciated. Thanks!

Do you have any experience working in the sports field or are you a professional athlete? The chances of you going into such a small field like sports and entertainment law from Windsor is very small. For one, you need to be hired at a Big law firm. Windsor places around 15% of its class in Toronto Big law every year. Outside of Big law, there are a few sports and entertainment law firms but they are largely made up of former professional athletes and Big law lawyers. Second, after getting hired into a Big law firm, you need to somehow network your way into the sports and entertainment practice group. Many articling students are offered hirebacks into practice groups that are not their first choice. It is very rare for any articling students to be hired into the sports and entertainment practice group at their firm. If I were you, I'd keep sports and entertainment as a backup option. It would be nice if you can go into it, but maybe just aim to get into corporate law in general and go from there.

Rashabon
  • Lawyer
29 minutes ago, Darth Vader said:

Do you have any experience working in the sports field or are you a professional athlete? The chances of you going into such a small field like sports and entertainment law from Windsor is very small. For one, you need to be hired at a Big law firm. Windsor places around 15% of its class in Toronto Big law every year. Outside of Big law, there are a few sports and entertainment law firms but they are largely made up of former professional athletes and Big law lawyers. Second, after getting hired into a Big law firm, you need to somehow network your way into the sports and entertainment practice group. Many articling students are offered hirebacks into practice groups that are not their first choice. It is very rare for any articling students to be hired into the sports and entertainment practice group at their firm. If I were you, I'd keep sports and entertainment as a backup option. It would be nice if you can go into it, but maybe just aim to get into corporate law in general and go from there.

Sports, yes. Entertainment is a bit broader and there are lots of smaller firms practicing in and around this area that don't necessarily require that kind of background. But I agree it is a niche area generally.

https://www.hallwebber.com/michaelsniderman

A background definitely doesn't hurt, as with the person above.

But I do know a Windsor grad that worked in entertainment and is now in-house at an entertainment company from Windsor, with no real background in it. But it's not common and it can be a tough grind.

LawyerNoah
  • Applicant
6 hours ago, Rashabon said:

Sports, yes. Entertainment is a bit broader and there are lots of smaller firms practicing in and around this area that don't necessarily require that kind of background. But I agree it is a niche area generally.

https://www.hallwebber.com/michaelsniderman

A background definitely doesn't hurt, as with the person above.

But I do know a Windsor grad that worked in entertainment and is now in-house at an entertainment company from Windsor, with no real background in it. But it's not common and it can be a tough grind.

Yes, i have a background in sports. I have my Bachelors of Sport Management from Brock University and have work experience with both the Toronto Maple Leafs and Toronto Blue Jays. You think that will help me?

• Like 1