Depressed Waiting

vintagepng

vintagepng
  • Applicant

L20: 3.9

LSAT: 155

I took the January exam the day after my dog died which hurt my score. I’m a veteran that released due to PTSD, severe anxiety, severe depression. I’ve worked diligently with military members who have survived sexual trauma and for their voices to be heard by upper echelon.

I’ve worked so hard for 5 years, one of the top of my class, been published. And this waiting game is seriously killing my mental health to which I’ve had two complete major breakdowns because I feel like I failed. I just wish I could get an answer, because I feel like I’m capable no different than anyone else that has gotten offer letters.

• Hugs 16

EmbeddedClause
  • Law Student

I wish I had something better to offer, but I just wanted to say that you aren't alone, and that what you're feeling is wholly valid. I was talking to my husband the other day about how this feels like such a game changing moment - the stress of waiting to hear whether you've gotten in or not can feel so so heavy, especially when it has been something you've been working hard at for a long time.

I know law school applicants can sometimes get jumped all over for letting that anxiety show, but I hope you know that there are people here who are feeling exactly the same way right now. I hope you feel that you can reach out here or to people in your personal life, and I want to thank you for letting it out in this post, because there are so many of us who will see it and have our own feelings of "waiting" anxiety validated. 

Waiting with you, pal.

• Like 1

Darth Vader
  • Lawyer

You'll get in. Your stats are good. But make sure you have a handle on your mental health before going to law school, because law school and the legal field exacerbate mental health issues. 

User456
  • Law School Admit

Your feelings are totally valid. I wish I could say something to make you feel better. Just know that you definitely are not alone. I am having a very hard time with the wait as well, it is grueling and not knowing when you'll find out is tough. It is definitely difficult putting so much time, effort and energy into something and then hoping and waiting for it to be enough. I really hope the wait isn't too much longer for you and that you get in. 

You have worked hard to be here and you belong here. It is incredibly important to be transparent with mental health struggles and all too often it's hidden (especially in the legal field) and it's a disservice to everyone. I hope that in the future, this process can be less grueling, but for now, all we can do is talk about it. 

Greenjuice
  • Applicant

Waiting is absolutely terrible and I am sorry that it has been especially hard on you. I'm also very sorry to hear about the loss of your pup, I know mine keeps me happy and healthy everyday so I can only imagine how tough the LSAT was for you.

I was in your position a few weeks ago and I'm providing unsolicited advice. The anxiety of waiting was really getting to me. Some things that helped were talking to others who have similar stats! And taking solace in the fact that while it may feel/be uncommon, it is possible to get admitted with these scores.

I made a similar post and I received some really helpful advice. I was told to live as if I'm not getting in so that I can prepare for the future and remember that life will go on. If I do get in, it will be a nice surprise! This was very helpful to me. We are so much more than our accomplishments and admissions status.

Ultimately, limiting my exposure to law forums was really beneficial for my mental health. Would strongly recommend you give yourself space if you need it. I was going for walks, exercising, playing piano and doing other things that bring me joy. I hope you can reconnect with things you love to do to take your mind off all this.

Please message me if you want to talk or just have listening ears. Happy to be a friend during this rough time.

• Like 1

CleanHands
  • Lawyer

Sharing this for comfort, not mockery.

The waiting is the hardest part
Every day you see one more card
You take it on faith, you take it to the heart

rinse-repeat
  • Law Student

I'm sorry to hear about your dog..you did well under the circumstances.

I am also getting anxious waiting. It's tough but there are still months left in the cycle, so don't let it get to you too much. 

7 minutes ago, Greenjuice said:

Please message me if you want to talk or just have listening ears. Happy to be a friend during this rough time.

Seconding this. I wish you the best!

GGrievous
  • Law Student
11 minutes ago, CleanHands said:

Sharing this for comfort, not mockery.

Every day you see one more card
You take it on faith, you take it to the heart

Tom Petty? Hasn't this person been through enough??!

In all seriousness, I echo what was said above, all considering you did incredibly well, and I'm truly rooting for you. 

iwannagetaccepted1234
  • Law School Admit

I know its so hard waiting, I am in the same position, but you truly never know what could happen and in a few months from now you will be able to make the best decision for yourself based on what you hear! I think half of the uncomfortable feeling now is uncertainty. Hang in there. 

• 2 weeks later...
Lawyerup36
  • Applicant

There are so many people waiting just like you! Your not alone at all. The wait is gruelling and the fact that acceptances can happen all the way till June, and waitlists move all the way to the first day of classes is mentally exhausting. Like you I am waiting, and it sounds like you are a mature applicant which is also me, and like you I wasn’t happy with my lsat and did not rewrite this cycle. That being said, I haven’t lost hope. If the worst case scenario and I don’t get into any this round I will rewrite the lsat, and embrace the time to chill. I also work full time, paid for my whole UG out of pocket, have more than two decades work experience, tons of EC and volunteer. But! At the end of the day my lsat will hurt me for sure. Chin up! There is lots of us out there. 

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1