GPA Conversion

ABBY98

ABBY98
  • Applicant

Hey!! I was hoping that someone can please help me covert my GPA (Ontario [Western University]) using the U of C conversion scale. 

Thank you!

Here is a screen shot of the table ucalgary uses.

You would find what you have for each course and multiply it by 3. (4.0=12. 3.7=11.1 ect.)

Then you'd add up all of those multiples. 12+11.1.. ect.

Then you take that number and divide it by how many credits you have. 1 class is 3 credits 2 is 6 credits and so on.

Equation will look something like this:

(All multiples of 3 added up)/(credits total)= U of C gpa

🙂

Screenshot_20220214-203420.png

ABBY98
  • Applicant

Thank you both for the response! @qsizzle, Western uses percentages rather than a letter grading system; the reason I am confused is due to this table that U of C Law has posted (please see below). From what it appears, 98-100 (4.0), 91-97 (3.9), and 81-90 (3.8); yet, at Western, a 90 = 4.0 and thus I am concerned that now a 90 is a 3.8 on the U of C scale. Is this correct? Or would I convert the 90 to the 4.0 (Ontario/Western scale) and then convert it to U of C 4.0 scale (in this case, it would remain a 4.0 due to the method of conversion)? Thank you! 

IMG_1451.jpeg

Lawhpefl10
  • Law School Admit
2 hours ago, ABBY98 said:

Thank you both for the response! @qsizzle, Western uses percentages rather than a letter grading system; the reason I am confused is due to this table that U of C Law has posted (please see below). From what it appears, 98-100 (4.0), 91-97 (3.9), and 81-90 (3.8); yet, at Western, a 90 = 4.0 and thus I am concerned that now a 90 is a 3.8 on the U of C scale. Is this correct? Or would I convert the 90 to the 4.0 (Ontario/Western scale) and then convert it to U of C 4.0 scale (in this case, it would remain a 4.0 due to the method of conversion)? Thank you! 

IMG_1451.jpeg

The former is correct. Take each grade and convert is using their scale (so yes a 98-100 is required for a 4.0). Then add up all the converted numbers and divide by courses. I confirmed this with admissions as I had some courses from a previous university that were percentages. 

Note: it does hurt you a bit on the high end (getting a 4.0 is near impossible) but it does help you on the low end by allowing you to get a 3.7 with anything above an 80. You also only need a 90 for a 3.9 which is fairly generous. As a current U of C student this is not even near the case for the vast majority of classes as most require at least an 85-86 for a 3.7.

toro-nigiri
  • Applicant

Do you get a letter grade assigned with your percentage grade? The note at the bottom of the chart shows that they won't use the percent scale if the percent corresponds to a specific letter grade; they'll convert the letter grade instead.