Need Advice on Opting Out of Hireback

powpow

powpow
  • Articling Student

Hi everyone,

After over six months of articling on Bay Street, I am confident that the work environment/culture is not for me. For those who opted out of articling, how much notice did you provide to your firm? What did you say to your supervisor and fellow articling students? I don't want to wait until the last minute, I want to be professional and not burn any bridges with my connections. Any other tips when opting out? Thank you very much in advance. 

KOMODO
  • Lawyer

Most Bay Street firms have a process for asking you to rank your choice of department, so you would formally opt out then. On an informal front, think about where you ultimately want to land, and how the firm and its lawyers can help you get there. If there are a few lawyers who you've worked with/are working with really closely, and who hope/want to work with you as an associate, they might appreciate knowing sooner rather than later that they shouldn't "count" on you as a future associate for their department. If you have a good/close relationship with the student director, you may also want to give them an informal heads up about your plans. You could have those informal conversations whenever you feel comfortable, and as a bonus you should absolutely ask them for recommendation letters or connections with the type of workplace you ultimately hope to join. Most big firms really want to help their associates "land", and it seems to me (though I am no expert) that it benefits you to have these conversations earlier so that people can start thinking about how to help connect you with potential future employers. Best of luck!

• Like 3