Class Ranking

johnny.rahmbo

Francine sent an email out about rankings on June 8:

"Many of you have inquired about rankings.  Please note:

We are working with the Registrar's Office to produce unofficial tentative rankings for 2020-2021.  These unofficial tentative rankings will remain tentative until the adjudication of all appeals, and the marking of all supplemental and special exams, which remain outstanding.  Final rankings will be produced thereafter.  

Rankings remain unofficial and are not formally reported on transcripts.  

Once the unofficial tentative rankings are available, we will provide instructions on how to obtain your unofficial tentative ranking."

Awards Office sent an email yesterday about OSAP and awards which included this:

"The UWinAward Profile application to apply for scholarships, awards and bursaries for the 2021-2022 academic year will be available starting in August. Your eligibility for need-based university bursaries requires an updated financial aid assessment prior to mid-October."

Did you not get these emails? 

johnny.rahmbo
  • Law Student
14 minutes ago, raptors905 said:

Francine sent an email out about rankings on June 8:

"Many of you have inquired about rankings.  Please note:

We are working with the Registrar's Office to produce unofficial tentative rankings for 2020-2021.  These unofficial tentative rankings will remain tentative until the adjudication of all appeals, and the marking of all supplemental and special exams, which remain outstanding.  Final rankings will be produced thereafter.  

Rankings remain unofficial and are not formally reported on transcripts.  

Once the unofficial tentative rankings are available, we will provide instructions on how to obtain your unofficial tentative ranking."

Awards Office sent an email yesterday about OSAP and awards which included this:

"The UWinAward Profile application to apply for scholarships, awards and bursaries for the 2021-2022 academic year will be available starting in August. Your eligibility for need-based university bursaries requires an updated financial aid assessment prior to mid-October."

Did you not get these emails? 

I did get this....just wondering if there has been any update since then seeing as the deadline for the P/F election has passed. Hopefully the "instructions" mentioned above come our way soon. 

3 minutes ago, boundless2.0 said:

I did get this....just wondering if there has been any update since then seeing as the deadline for the P/F election has passed. Hopefully the "instructions" mentioned above come our way soon. 

Fair. Haven't heard anything myself, but one thing I learned with this school is not to hold your breath when the administration says their "working" on things. Wouldn't be surprised if we don't get rankings until July. 

JupitersLaw
  • Law Student

Does anyone know more details about how the ranks are generated? I got ranked very low but my average is a middle of the road B but I thought that all law schools in Ontario have to conform to a B average so why did I get ranked so low? 

Does that just mean that very few people got a B- and very few people got a B+ and the vast majority of people got a B (77-74)? Or am I mistaken that law schools have to conform to the B average and ranks are created by a different method?

If anyone knows any details, I'd appreciate hearing about it! Just curious!

Renerik
  • Law Student
2 hours ago, JupitersLaw said:

Does anyone know more details about how the ranks are generated? I got ranked very low but my average is a middle of the road B but I thought that all law schools in Ontario have to conform to a B average so why did I get ranked so low? 

Does that just mean that very few people got a B- and very few people got a B+ and the vast majority of people got a B (77-74)? Or am I mistaken that law schools have to conform to the B average and ranks are created by a different method?

If anyone knows any details, I'd appreciate hearing about it! Just curious!

Windsor's policy is that classes over 25 students must have an average grade of B (72.5-76.4%) but this can be misleading when looking at your class rank. A better metric for evaluating you class rank is the median and quartiles. The median for each class is higher than the average because one student scoring a failing grade will move the average much more than 2 students scoring over 90%. I looked up the grade distribution profile for winter 2021 and picked 3 courses at random.

image.png.c4d43e6041629a22244f1bc704e16ad8.png

To be in the middle of the pack for these 3 courses you need to score a B+ (77+). Scoring a B (73+) places you in the bottom half of the class and can even put you in the bottom 25%, and a B- (70+) pretty much solidifies your place there. So UWindsor is adhering to their B average policy (To your credit they're pushing the threshold of B+ territory), I think you just might not have considered how the average and median differ.

Edited by Renerik
Changed how some data in the table was presented

JupitersLaw
  • Law Student
17 hours ago, Renerik said:

Windsor's policy is that classes over 25 students must have an average grade of B (72.5-76.4%) but this can be misleading when looking at your class rank. A better metric for evaluating you class rank is the median and quartiles. The median for each class is higher than the average because one student scoring a failing grade will move the average much more than 2 students scoring over 90%. I looked up the grade distribution profile for winter 2021 and picked 3 courses at random.

image.png.c4d43e6041629a22244f1bc704e16ad8.png

To be in the middle of the pack for these 3 courses you need to score a B+ (77+). Scoring a B (73+) places you in the bottom half of the class and can even put you in the bottom 25%, and a B- (70+) pretty much solidifies your place there. So UWindsor is adhering to their B average policy (To your credit they're pushing the threshold of B+ territory), I think you just might not have considered how the average and median differ.

Thanks for the reply, your answer was kinda of along the lines of what I was thinking so it makes sense now!