To what degree do Ontario law schools favour in-province applicants? Any available stats?

pinsandneedles

pinsandneedles
  • Law School Admit

Good morning everybody,

Does anybody have information regarding Ontario law schools preference for in-province applicants? I've searched online, and it seems people are saying that the Ontario schools give preference to in-province applicants, but I can't find any definitive answers.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by pinsandneedles

• pinsandneedles changed the title to To what degree do Ontario law schools favour in-province applicants? Any available stats?
Rashabon
  • Lawyer

I don't think there's really all that much favouritism and you're not going to find stats because of selection bias. It's more likely that a BC resident goes to school in BC and an Ontario resident goes to school in Ontario naturally rather than out of favouritism.

There are a ton of out of province students at every law school (well I don't know about Lakehead but certainly the others).

• Like 2

Darth Vader
  • Lawyer
3 hours ago, pinsandneedles said:

Good morning everybody,

Does anybody have information regarding Ontario law schools preference for in-province applicants? I've searched online, and it seems people are saying that the Ontario schools give preference to in-province applicants, but I can't find any definitive answers.

Thanks in advance.

I have never seen this mentioned anywhere so I don't know who you talked to or where you are looking. Ontario is saturated already which is why this thing called "in-province residency" isn't a thing here like it is in another province that needs more lawyers and doctors. Even for med school admissions, Ontario is the only province that does not have in-province residency requirements unless you're applying to certain programs at Lakehead or Western.