Those who are employed and accepted, when are you quitting? And how are you quitting?

RC51

While I am not 100% sure I will be quitting my job yet, I can't lie about not fantasizing a clean break from my job and taking a few month to focus on myself before starting school. If I had to do it quickly, I would just go in and drop my stuff off and block my manager on my phone, or be a nice employee and give them a few weeks notice. That leads me to think about, when is a good time to quit? I could work as late as September 1st, and start school the following week but that won't do my mental health any good. What say you? do you have a plan? 

• Like 1

GGrievous
  • Law Student

When you do choose to quit make sure you choose being a nice employee route. You never know when you an employer reference might come in handy. 

• Like 1

Rashabon
  • Lawyer

I'm impressed that you went from wanting to work full time and do law school part-time all the way to fantasizing that you're in Office Space or Half Baked in a month and a half.

• Like 2
  • LOL 4

Turtles
  • Law Student
17 minutes ago, RC51 said:

While I am not 100% sure I will be quitting my job yet, I can't lie about not fantasizing a clean break from my job and taking a few month to focus on myself before starting school. If I had to do it quickly, I would just go in and drop my stuff off and block my manager on my phone, or be a nice employee and give them a few weeks notice. That leads me to think about, when is a good time to quit? I could work as late as September 1st, and start school the following week but that won't do my mental health any good. What say you? do you have a plan? 

I signalled my intention to depart informally and suddenly my manager was getting multiple calls per day from her manager (executive level) to see if a retention bonus and promotion would keep me. The need for (competent, fully-trained) bodies right now is creating desperation in certain industries and it might be "harder" to depart than you might expect. 

• Like 1

aurora borealis
  • Law Student

I plan to work until shortly before I need to move. I like my job (but can't see myself doing it for the rest of my life, hence going to law school) and the company I work at; staying until the week or so before classes/orientation starts won't be mentally exhausting. Also I'll have more money.

They're already expecting me to leave at some point to go back to school (they knew I was most likely going to pursue a second degree when they offered me the job) so it won't be a surprise.

1 hour ago, Rashabon said:

I'm impressed that you went from wanting to work full time and do law school part-time all the way to fantasizing that you're in Office Space or Half Baked in a month and a half.

ya got me here....but my eye bags are growing eye bags, can you blame me for dreaming about quitting? 

Greenjuice
  • Applicant

I'm planning on quitting my full time job in July. I've been working part time alongside my full time job to save up and I'm exhausted. So I will likely enjoy the summer a little bit before heading to school.

I will be doing it with grace of course! I will gently express that I am so grateful for the opportunity to attend law school and I can't pass up this chance. I hope you take the nice route as well 😛

Ilovelamp
  • Law Student

I will be taking August off, and have already put in my notice for the end of July (mature student and boss was a reference), so he was very happy for me! Haven’t had a vacation in years, and with moving, I am pumped to take a month off.

TheGoodWife
  • Law School Admit

I've been with my organization for almost two years now. I kept them in the loop from the beginning (when I started studying for the LSAT). This made it really easy to share when I was accepted while on a zoom call with my team earlier this week. 

I now have five months to fully prepare to leave and share knowledge, and they have the same time to recruit (it has already proved challenging to find someone with the needed skill set). 

I'm planning to be done at the end of July so we can take a month for a vacation and become acquainted with our new living situation. We will be selling our house and moving in the process. 

I'm seeing in the posts that not all organizations have been as supportive as mine, so really my best advice is do what's best for you. If you know that one week is not enough of a break then trust yourself. Going in with a good state of mental health is most important.

Edited by TheGoodWife

My employer knew that I was applying to law schools and was fully supportive. When I got in, I gave a rather large amount of notice (4 months) and took the entire summer off. I travelled, relaxed and just tried to enjoy myself. One of the best decisions I made.

• Like 5

ElleofFrell
  • Law Student

I am planning to work up until the end of August. I really like my job but it has poor upward mobility hence law school. I considered part-time/full-time combinations but it feels unsustainable.

nitzy
  • Law School Admit

Probably will quit early August so I can save up as much as possible. I would really love to do a trip (Europe?!) for a few weeks before school but that is obviously going to be dependent on how things are at the time. 

I may or may not be counting the days until I get to quit. I'm thrilled to know there is for sure a bright light at the end of the tunnel coming soon. Although I thought the knowledge that I had gotten in somewhere would make this time go by even faster but it seems to have done the opposite. 😞

My employer/coworkers have been super supportive and excited for me. So that has been nice. 🙂 

In response to your question, I would say the best time to quit is when you want to! Treat yourself before starting this new chapter.

• Like 1

wallsunflower
  • Law Student

I quit at the end of July, travelled and started school in September! Taking a month off before school was a wonderful decision.

• 2 weeks later...
goodisgood
  • Law Student

I was with my employer for 5 years, told them about my intentions about law school way in advance and they were very supportive. They provided a LOR, and winded down my responsibilities until the end of July, then I got August off. It was great to have time to catch up with friends and family, and feeling refreshed before law school is a great plan. 

I would not advise going nuclear unless you have a horrible relationship with your employer. First off, it's not very nice, and second of all, having more potential references is a good thing. 

Edited by goodisgood
details

• 1 month later...
crimlaw1032
  • Applicant

I work at a small law firm now and my boss was one of my referee’s, I had initially planned on leaving at the end of June and enjoying the summer but after looking at her schedule and orientation for school my last day is July 29. I plan on returning to work with this practice next summer and when possible so I don’t want to burn any bridges and quit leaving them stranded (it’s one lawyer + me handling aboriginal, crim and family files) 

if you can leave earlier and financially afford to I’d advise it! 

BobButtons
  • Law School Admit

I will be giving two weeks notice in July. 

I wish I could tell them now. I hate having discussions with my boss and senior team members about maximizing annual bonuses and such while knowing that I won't be there at that time. It feels awful.

Unfortunately, I can't afford to take the summer off, and I just don't trust that they'll accept 4 months notice without moving to replace me, especially since I negotiated a higher salary when I started with them in January, before I had any certainty that I'd get to go to school. 

The whole thing is ridiculously uncomfortable, but at the end of the day I have a mortgage and child support to pay. 

• Like 2

aaaaaaaaa
  • Applicant

I'll be continuing my current position, albeit (likely) cutting back to a part-time workload (e.g. 20 hrs/week, down from 30) so I can get away without student loans.

I'm very fortunate my job is 20 mins away from the law school I'm planning on attending (UdeM), and that I can work remotely quite a good bit of the time.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
CipherEvice
  • Law Student

Gave my notice that my last day of work would be June 15th when I got accepted a couple months back since I am on very good terms with my employer and I knew it wouldn't be an issue/would help them have time to find a replacement for me. I am travelling in Europe from June 20-August 20 and then moving into my new apartment near campus when I get back. I know the timing might be weird to find a place since September 1st is a hot market for apartments near campus so hopefully I can sign a lease for a place remotely with an August 15th start date or something like that, but we will see.

• Like 1