How many associates don’t meet billable targets?

Lawstudent249

boyo
  • Law Student
On 6/18/2022 at 4:34 PM, disgruntledpelican said:

I know exactly who you are talking about and I can guarantee you they do not practice 80-90% fund formation (though a majority of their practice is).

Some clients don't want their deals made public on the firm website (especially tech and PE clients). The list is not necessarily indicative of one's actual practice. I had 2/12 show up on my profile on the firm's website.

That makes sense to me. Even if it’s 60-70% that’s still a pretty large chunk of someone’s work.

On 6/18/2022 at 9:19 AM, boyo said:

Is it not okay to look at a lawyers representative work on the firm’s site?

It is fine to look, but firm websites and profiles are ultimately advertisements. 

So take the word of someone who works in the industry.

boyo
  • Law Student
1 hour ago, Cool_name said:

It is fine to look, but firm websites and profiles are ultimately advertisements. 

So take the word of someone who works in the industry.

I completely agree. Just in this case the lawyer had a certain amount of work on there, so unless some of that work is not attributable to them, I don't see what the issue is. I suppose if they did a TON of other non-fund formation work that skewed their workload, that might be a concern. Seems unlikely though.

KOMODO
  • Lawyer

I can tell you that I have barely updated my profile in the last few years, and it's definitely missing lots of specific information about my key transactions and projects. Most associates are likely in the same position - we have way more to do in general, and many more important things to do, than worry about which types of work are listed on our public profiles. Sometimes I'll ask for something specific and important (that happens not to be confidential) to be added, but most of the time I don't even think to do that.

My clients know what I do and that's really all that matters. Don't take firm website descriptions so seriously, because the people who actually know what's going on don't usually care much about what they say, so it's really in the hands of an active marketing department (and the quality of marketing depts varies widely from firm to firm and year to year).

Lastly, I'll mention that something can look like a lot of work but not really be the main thing someone was doing, and vice versa. Better to get the real scoop from real people.

• Like 3

easttowest
  • Lawyer

The number of times I’ve heard a lawyer say “that’s still on there? Yikes, better update that” is pretty funny. And you know they immediately forgot to do anything about it. 

• LOL 2

Also it depends on what your target is. I have a friend whose target is 1450. The expectation is that everyone must meet it.

C_Terror
  • Lawyer
1 hour ago, hiccups said:

Also it depends on what your target is. I have a friend whose target is 1450. The expectation is that everyone must meet it.

That's about 121 billable hours a month, which is very fair.