Interviewing after accepting an articling offer!

Lawnerd142

Lawnerd142
  • Law Student

What are the real consequences if someone interviews with other places after accepting an offer with one firm?

If the place where you accepted ever finds out - and people talk more than you realize - you might have some serious explaining to do.

People who don’t yet have an offer will likely find your company distasteful.

Ethically you have made a terrible start to your career. 

Hope it’s worth it.

• Like 1

As they tell you ad nauseum in law school, your most important asset is your reputation.

The only situation where I can see this behaviour being somewhat sympathetic/accepted is if you accept an offer in one city (e.g. Ottawa) that has an earlier recruit, and then go on to interview in another city (e.g. Toronto) with a later recruit. Still not great, but people might be more sympathetic to the reality that staggered articling recruit periods lead to these kinds of situations...

CleanHands
  • Lawyer
22 minutes ago, nana said:

The only situation where I can see this behaviour being somewhat sympathetic/accepted is if you accept an offer in one city (e.g. Ottawa) that has an earlier recruit, and then go on to interview in another city (e.g. Toronto) with a later recruit. Still not great, but people might be more sympathetic to the reality that staggered articling recruit periods lead to these kinds of situations...

Hard disagree.

That's actually worse than most excuses. They are staggered that way precisely to prevent candidates who are Toronto-or-bust from using other markets as back-ups.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CleanHands said:

They are staggered that way precisely to prevent candidates who are Toronto-or-bust from using other markets as back-ups.

I think I didn't really fully develop my thought before posting.

I do agree it's an extremely tough look to be trying to game different markets and using certain cities as back-up. I think in my mind I was more envisioning a situation where, say, in general you'd be fine to stay in one city (again, let's say Ottawa) but there's one specific position in another city (again, let's say Toronto) that you are dying to have. I'm sympathetic to someone not being ready to risk putting all their eggs in the one Toronto basket when they'd otherwise be happy in Ottawa. I think it is going to look bad,  but I also think you're gonna do what you need to do. In any event, you would need to have a compelling explanation for your behaviour to not look like you're just gaming the system at the expense of the original firm that hired you - and even then, be prepared to accept that many people will not look kindly on you.

• Like 1

BlockedQuebecois
  • Lawyer

If you're in Ontario and we're talking about the articling recruit (as we are), interviewing after you have accepted an articling position is in fact a breach of the law society's regulations

Students who accept an offer shall immediately notify firms from whom they have an outstanding offer or with whom they have scheduled interviews. Students who have already accepted an offer shall not thereafter participate in interviews with other firms or accept offers subsequently received.

It should be self-evident that breaching the LSO's regulations before you even start your articling position is likely not a good idea. You might get away with it, but you also may end up with character and fitness issues if the firm you bail on decides to report you (as the LSO asks them to do). 

• Like 5

napqueen
  • Law Student
On 2/25/2022 at 2:44 PM, nana said:

I think I didn't really fully develop my thought before posting.

I do agree it's an extremely tough look to be trying to game different markets and using certain cities as back-up. I think in my mind I was more envisioning a situation where, say, in general you'd be fine to stay in one city (again, let's say Ottawa) but there's one specific position in another city (again, let's say Toronto) that you are dying to have. I'm sympathetic to someone not being ready to risk putting all their eggs in the one Toronto basket when they'd otherwise be happy in Ottawa. I think it is going to look bad,  but I also think you're gonna do what you need to do. In any event, you would need to have a compelling explanation for your behaviour to not look like you're just gaming the system at the expense of the original firm that hired you - and even then, be prepared to accept that many people will not look kindly on you.

I have to strongly disagree. 

I think it is actually worse to do this in relation to structured recruits. You’d be essentially robbing other students of the opportunity since the original firm is likely not going to recruit again to fill the spot you’ve created. Conversely, employers who are not bound by the formal recruit may repost the position.

Even if these firms are willing to re-recruit, you’re costing the firm money, which I’m sure will leave a bad taste in their mouth.

All around, even if you can get away with it under the LSO regulations, I think your reputation with anyone who knows the situation - at the firms or your classmates - would be negatively impacted in a way that I don’t think could be justifiable.

If you want that second job badly enough to risk breaking LSO regulations and putting your reputation down the toilet before you even begin, you should be willing to risk putting all your eggs into one recruit.

Honestly didn't remember to reference any law society rules before throwing out the Ottawa/Toronto example (rookie mistake). Of course, if it's against regulations then it's against regulations.

Fortunately, Lawnerd142 has decided not to risk the consequences.

Thanks to everyone for putting this kind of behaviour in new perspective for me.

Edited by nana

PzabbytheLawyer
  • Lawyer

My honest view here is, even if this wasn't against the LSO rules, this kind of behavior needs to be thought long and hard about.

It will hurt your reputation. It is dishonest, at best. You've made a committment to that firm in a role that is not a simple employer employee relationship (for better or for worse). You are just starting out in this profession, and your reputation is hyper important in it.