UVIC or Dal

shashi

CleanHands
  • Lawyer

UVic based on tuition cost alone (barring massive scholarship/bursaries offerings from Dal alone, which would be the only reason this would be a comparison worth making).

• Like 1

Phaedrus
  • Lawyer
9 minutes ago, CleanHands said:

UVic based on tuition cost alone (barring massive scholarship/bursaries offerings from Dal alone, which would be the only reason this would be a comparison worth making).

Agreed. Dal's program fees are ~$21,000 per year for full-time student. UVic costs ~$11,600. Dal has average annual bursaries of $6,451.33 for students with financial need (almost all) and good academic standing (aka, meaty part of the curve). 

OP, I don't know what you mean by "public service". There's a lot more to consider when deciding what school to go to beyond pre-law expected field of interest. Just saying. 

• Like 1

Pendragon
  • Lawyer
3 minutes ago, Boris said:

Speaking of public sector jobs, are they all MAG-related or is the realm broader than that?

Depends on the province you are in. Ontario probably has the most public sector jobs. In Ontario, MAG hires the most law students (though I hear that most people don't get hired back after articling), and then Legal Aid Ontario, Department of Justice, and the City of Toronto and other municipalities will hire a handful. You can also expand into professional regulatory bodies like the Law Society of Ontario. 

Edited by Pendragon

shashi
  • Applicant
2 hours ago, Phaedrus said:

Agreed. Dal's program fees are ~$21,000 per year for full-time student. UVic costs ~$11,600. Dal has average annual bursaries of $6,451.33 for students with financial need (almost all) and good academic standing (aka, meaty part of the curve). 

OP, I don't know what you mean by "public service". There's a lot more to consider when deciding what school to go to beyond pre-law expected field of interest. Just saying. 

Yes — of course there are a variety of factors to consider. I asked on the basis of that factor because I am currently in the public service and hope to come back in some capacity (either in the same org, or DOJ) The work/life balance is especially attractive as I want to have a family one day. Obviously, law school may steer me in other directions but my organization is funding my tuition in the hopes I will return as a lawyer and work for them. Thanks for your input!

1 hour ago, Pendragon said:

Depends on the province you are in. Ontario probably has the most public sector jobs. In Ontario, MAG hires the most law students (though I hear that most people don't get hired back after articling), and then Legal Aid Ontario, Department of Justice, and the City of Toronto and other municipalities will hire a handful. You can also expand into professional regulatory bodies like the Law Society of Ontario. 

So helpful! Thank you. I wonder if Victoria would be good for provincial PS placements? 

Pendragon
  • Lawyer

http://ultravires.ca/2021/11/vancouver-2022-2l-summer-recruitment-numbers/#:~:text=The Vancouver 2L recruit concluded,of publication%2C 25 employers responded.

The only public sector employer participating in Vancouver OCIs seems to be the DOJ. 

https://canlawforum.com/topic/1704-how-difficult-is-it-to-get-a-job-in-toronto-from-an-out-of-province-school/?do=findComment&comment=17442

Only two people from UBC got "Public Interest / Social Justice / Human Rights" articling positions. 

I can't find the employment stats for UVic online, but this tells me that maybe there are not many public interest jobs in BC. If anyone has a list of public interest employers hiring articling students in BC, please share it. 

Edited by Pendragon

shashi
  • Applicant
34 minutes ago, Pendragon said:

http://ultravires.ca/2021/11/vancouver-2022-2l-summer-recruitment-numbers/#:~:text=The Vancouver 2L recruit concluded,of publication%2C 25 employers responded.

The only public sector employer participating in Vancouver OCIs seems to be the DOJ. 

https://canlawforum.com/topic/1704-how-difficult-is-it-to-get-a-job-in-toronto-from-an-out-of-province-school/?do=findComment&comment=17442

Only two people from UBC got "Public Interest / Social Justice / Human Rights" articling positions. 

I can't find the employment stats for UVic online, but this tells me that maybe there are not many public interest jobs in BC. If anyone has a list of public interest employers hiring articling students in BC, please share it. 

that ultravires report is great. i will hunt and see what i can find. are there not law jobs that dont particpate in OCIs but people still get job placements in? for example, WSBC and IRB have positions that many lawyers do but may not participate in OCI

Pendragon
  • Lawyer
1 hour ago, shashi said:

that ultravires report is great. i will hunt and see what i can find. are there not law jobs that dont particpate in OCIs but people still get job placements in? for example, WSBC and IRB have positions that many lawyers do but may not participate in OCI

Generally, jobs outside the formal recruits are with small firms and organizations and in-house corporations. If it's a big firm or government employer, it would usually participate in the formal recruits. 

I did a LinkedIn search of lawyers at WorkSafeBC and couldn't find anyone that articled there. All the lawyers worked in private practice or another government office that participates in the formal recruits like DOJ and Legal Aid before moving there. 

Edited by Pendragon