TRU or UofA

Ave

Ave
  • Law School Admit

Firstly I’d like to thank anyone willing to take the time to read and provide input and advice! I am a BC resident and will ultimately be returning to BC (specifically Vancouver Island) after I finish law school. I have yet to be accepted to other BC schools but believe I do have a shot at UVic (albeit maybe small). In the event I am not accepted to my local school, what would provide me the best job prospects upon return? Does anyone have experience attending UofA and returning to BC? Current students, are you happy with your choice of attending TRU or UofA? I’m very grateful to have offers from both schools and believe I’d be ultimately happy at either one but I want to make sure I’m making the smartest decision for my future. 

maybemaybe
  • Applicant

hey! I have no idea about job prospects but can speak a bit to the pros and cons. Overall from what I've heard, the law faculty at UofA is pretty great. However, over the past few years, there have been massive budget cuts in Alberta that hit UofA very hard. In fact, there was just a newly announced budget cut like 2 days ago. Something to consider, it might make coming here more costly for you.

Don't know much about TRU but one thing I do know is that they rescinded a sizeable amount of offers last year from people who had already been accepted!! And it was very late into the summer too. Just shines a bad light on the faculty in general. 

LMP
  • Articling Student
2 hours ago, Ave said:

Firstly I’d like to thank anyone willing to take the time to read and provide input and advice! I am a BC resident and will ultimately be returning to BC (specifically Vancouver Island) after I finish law school. I have yet to be accepted to other BC schools but believe I do have a shot at UVic (albeit maybe small). In the event I am not accepted to my local school, what would provide me the best job prospects upon return? Does anyone have experience attending UofA and returning to BC? Current students, are you happy with your choice of attending TRU or UofA? I’m very grateful to have offers from both schools and believe I’d be ultimately happy at either one but I want to make sure I’m making the smartest decision for my future. 

I would go to UofA. But my reasons are varied so let's seperate what I know from what I think.

What I know to be true: 

- UofA is cheaper than TRU 

- UofA is more established than TRU 

-TRU is in the jurisdiction you wish to practice, UofA is not. 

What I think to be true: 

- Of the lawyers and firms I know in Vancouver and Victoria, TRU is held to be a school of last resort. UofA does not have this reputation.

- UofA students don't seem to have much trouble going to BC, if less students from UofA end up there it is likely because they chose to practice in Alberta. 

- More opportunities exist at UofA. 

- UofA fields a stronger class of students.

Conclusion: 

UofA, in my view, holds a better reputation and would provide more opportunities at a lower price. 

I am not an expert in this area and the "think" section is derived from conversations I've had with several established lawyers and general observations I've made. These could be wrong, I yield to anyone with firsthand or more in-depth knowledge of the Victoria market. 

mj1995
  • Applicant
1 hour ago, LMP said:

I would go to UofA. But my reasons are varied so let's seperate what I know from what I think.

What I know to be true: 

- UofA is cheaper than TRU 

- UofA is more established than TRU 

-TRU is in the jurisdiction you wish to practice, UofA is not. 

What I think to be true: 

- Of the lawyers and firms I know in Vancouver and Victoria, TRU is held to be a school of last resort. UofA does not have this reputation.

- UofA students don't seem to have much trouble going to BC, if less students from UofA end up there it is likely because they chose to practice in Alberta. 

- More opportunities exist at UofA. 

- UofA fields a stronger class of students.

Conclusion: 

UofA, in my view, holds a better reputation and would provide more opportunities at a lower price. 

I am not an expert in this area and the "think" section is derived from conversations I've had with several established lawyers and general observations I've made. These could be wrong, I yield to anyone with firsthand or more in-depth knowledge of the Victoria market. 

I agree with the poster about UofA's reputation and establishment, however I personally know lawyers and law students at the UofA who have struggled with gaining access to a position in the BC market. I was born and raised in Edmonton and went to the UofA so not sure if my personal experience counts for anything. I have had dozens of friends graduate from the UofA faculty of law who had a really tough time being able to gain entry into the Vancouver/Toronto market. I am sure there are success stories no doubt, I just am speaking from knowledge based on my personal experience. TRU may be a new school and I am sure the reputation plays a part but there are success stories on both ends. I don't doubt it's important to pick a school that has a better reputation shouldn't play a part, but so should location. You should consider having conversations with lawyers in BC about their perspective as they may be more insightful vs this thread. I linked the bottom post as theres a comment about how TRU grads got positions at top five law firms. 

You should do whats best for you at the end of the day. I am personally picking a law school (hopefully) in Alberta because thats where I want to be/where I want to practice and build a life also my support system is here. Nobody can make the choice for you but going to the UofA vs TRU does not promise you a job at a top law firm. I am also not an expert on this subject either I just have read a lot of posts and LinkedIn deep dives. Either way just remember there is no right or wrong answer. 

Edited by mj1995

12 hours ago, Ave said:

If I were you, TRU - no doubt.

UofA is not UofT.

Besides easier finding a job in BC Kamloops has better weather.