Osgoode residence questions!

justpassinthrough

justpassinthrough
  • Applicant

Hey guys! was wondering if anyone has/knows where I can find current pictures of what the apartments look like at Osgoode Chambers/Atkinson? The only thing I could find were youtube tours from 2011... thanks in advance :)

ShouldHaveBeenAnEngineer
  • Applicant
12 hours ago, luckycharm said:

The videos make it seem like you live alone in the room, is that true? You don't have to share with anyone?

In that case, cost wise, is Osgoode Chambers overly expensive or is it worth the price?

11 hours ago, ShouldHaveBeenAnEngineer said:

The videos make it seem like you live alone in the room, is that true? You don't have to share with anyone?

In that case, cost wise, is Osgoode Chambers overly expensive or is it worth the price?

I looked up the website it says its an enclosed suite with the kitchen, bedroom, and washroom. I'm assuming its for the semesters and its 8.7k so thats somewhere around 1.1k. Which is pretty average for Toronto when I found a room downtown it was pretty much 900-1000 and at times you could find a place for 800 but there was always a downside. This has its own kitchen and washroom (but isn't downtown). You also aren't paying for internet and utilities. 

Edited by Eathwens
  • Like 1

Turtles
  • Law Student
11 minutes ago, Eathwens said:

Which is pretty average for Toronto when I found a room downtown it was pretty much 900-1000 and at times you could find a place for 800 but there was always a downside. T

To be fair, there are downsides with Osgoode Chambers. The guy who knocked on a student's door a couple weeks ago with a knife and then chased him down the street might be one (he was arrested and student was unharmed). The several times the internet went down during moots / midterms might be another. The seasonal flooding from melting snow on the roof that has required overnight evacuations. But in terms of rent $, it's a bargain, and it's close to school and let's you live next door to a ton of fellow students. 

Edited by Turtles

2 minutes ago, Turtles said:

To be fair, there are downsides with Osgoode Chambers. The guy who knocked on a student's door a couple weeks ago with a knife and then chased him down the street might be one (he was arrested and student was unharmed). The several times the internet went down during moots / midterms might be another. The seasonal flooding from melting snow on the roof that has required overnight evacuations. But in terms of rent $, it's a bargain, and it's close to school and let's you live next door to a ton of fellow students. 

Not to detract from this, but as an alternative view: I live in Osgoode Chambers and have never had any issue (safety or otherwise). But YMMV.

38 minutes ago, Turtles said:

To be honest we live in Canada if you can survive a year without some sort of internet quandary I want to know your provider. 

Apple
  • Lawyer

Osgoode housing is definitely worth the price. You live alone and are surrounded by other students who are like minded in their focus*. It is good rent to pay for North York and will save you the hassle of dealing with the Toronto market. It is also literally a stone's throw away from the school. The time and transit savings alone make it worthwhile. 

Edited by Apple
*For the most part

OntheVerge
  • Lawyer

I personally preferred Atkinson over Osgoode Chambers. It was a bit more removed, so it had more distance - physical and mental - from the school. Giant windows. Better soundproofing, I could very rarely hear my neighbours upstairs or next door. Never had an issue with internet. Neighbours are other grad students (not undergrad) so you can meet other people outside of law school. Atkinson isn't furnished, so that's a consideration as well. Most of the other law students who lived in Atkinson were happy with their decision. Plus, it's closer to the Starbucks.