Working During the Summer Before 1L

cities1000

cities1000
  • Law Student

Hi! I'll be starting law school in August, and I was wondering what everyone's thoughts are on working a relatively time-consuming job during the summer before you start law school? I'm currently finishing a degree in business, and I have an offer from a consulting firm for the summer. I'm wondering if the trade off between gaining money/additional work experience (I already have previous corporate internship experience) and time is worth it before starting 1L? I also have the opportunity to do less time-consuming, but still well-paying, research work with my undergrad institution (of course, I would get paid less on the whole because I would be working less hours). 

I'm particularly concerned about starting 1L lacking energy/feeling burnt out. Is this a valid concern to have? Thanks in advance for any tips/suggestions. 

Edited by cities1000

• cities1000 changed the title to Working During the Summer Before 1L
Turtles
  • Law Student

I worked the summer before 1L in a time-consuming job (and then hired on my team and worked through the term with a little less pressure than the summer). It's hard to do that then jump into starting school on Monday. But nobody can answer the question for you because only you know you. Some people are energized by the routine and pressure, and the momentum of working hard over the summer may propel you to take things a little more seriously from the beginning of the term (while others are still adjusting) or you may develop strong work / time management habits that will serve you well. Or, you may be exhausted, lonely, and looking for a break. What sounds more like you? Are you someone who commits to ECs every weekend or needs their Saturday and Sunday to themselves to recover? It's perfectly valid to take time for yourself, especially as that becomes a limited commodity in your early career. 

• Like 2

undertheletter
  • Law Student

You'll ultimately have to answer this for yourself. In my case, I decided to take the summer off as I already felt slightly burnt out from zoom university and being cooped up all year. For me it was relaxing, albeit a bit boring. I deferred a full-time opportunity, but if I had the option of part-time research work, I'd probably take it. I don't think you'd be at a disadvantage if you don't work at all...but more work experience is also better than less.

FWIW I found the first semester of 1L to be considerably less stressful than undergrad. Most courses were assessed via 100% exam which meant I didn't have 4787248724 assignments and midterm deadlines piled up throughout the semester. I could set my own pace, and felt less stressed as a result. (This does, however, assume that you put in consistent effort throughout the term and avoid cramming).

Again, ultimately a personal choice.

• Like 1

Depending on the consulting firm and your career goals, I think this might be worth it! People who have worked, especially in a capacity similar to what you'd be doing in law, had a leg up in interviews just because it was something really concrete you can use to sell/distinguish yourself and to tell compelling stories.

• Like 1