Ottawa vs. Queens - Health Law/International Law

gglaw

gglaw
  • Applicant

hey everyone! I am looking for some insight/advice if possible. I was recently admitted to Queen's so now I have both Ottawa and Queen's to consider (still waiting on UofT as well). 

I would ideally love to go into health law, whether that be medical malpractice, personal injury or working on health policies. I am also interested in intellectual property but not as much as health. If I did go the IP route it would be cool to work for leading companies in the tech industry, though obviously I am not well-versed on how any of this works as I have not gotten to law school yet. With regards to health law, working with the UN or the WHO would be something that I would love to do in the latter half of my career so that I can really tie in that international aspect, or even working for the ministry of health.

With regards to these two schools what would be the best choice. I know that Ottawa has certificates for health and clinics and IP which is what is drawing me to it but I know that Queen's has a strong international law presence. I am first-gen and really have no one to ask about any schools but these two in particular so if anyone has any input or advice I would greatly appreciate it. I know it is probably slim for someone to work with the UN or WHO but it is a goal of mine that I would like to work towards as I am really interested in international relations and policy.

Thank you for any help 🙂

• 2 weeks later...
Bluedolphin
  • Law School Admit

I got into Ottawa too! I don't have much to say except that Ottawa is clearly ideal for health law - that's why I applied there! I suspect that it's easier to go from health law to international health law than it is to go from international law to health law, in which case Ottawa seems like the better option. But hopefully you can get an opinion from an expert!

• Like 1

LMP
  • Articling Student

I don't really know what you think health law is or what international health law is. I'm not even sure the latter really exists. 

Hopefully you'll be forgiving of my candor, law school has made me prematurely bitter and I've heard one too many people talk about "international law". 

Anyways, to your question. No school in Canada will give you a definitive edge for health law (again, whatever that is). Let's break down why.

Three of your purported aims were, if I'm underating correctly, malpractice, personal injury and policy. And of course eventual work in the UN but we will leave that aside for now.

1. Malpractice 

There's no special benefit a certain school will give you in this area. This is tort law, everyone's got tort law. Maybe someone has a clinic in this area or a special course but that's hardly a big deal. 

2. Personal Injury 

This is tort law again. You'll take torts, you'll learn about negligance. This won't change at different schools. I don't see the health aspect here. 

3. Policy 

OK, here's actually where I'd give you the edge. I don't really see this as "law" but would agree that UO will help you land some government roles. If this is the goal I can see Ottawa helping you out. 

As for the UN, I won't comment on it except to I don't really see what kind of law you would be doing? This seems more like policy or development work. 

• Like 2

Damages
  • Lawyer

If you'd rather work in the GTA than in Ottawa, then go to Queen's.

If you'd rather work in Ottawa than in Queen's, then go to Ottawa.

Even if you think you are truly fine with working anywhere, just pick one of the two above.

Your interest in law will likely change in law school, and it is also likely that you won't be able to take all the courses that you want to take in law school (e.g., conflicts between courses, not offered in your year, you didn't like the prof, etc.).

Just my two cents (I am a 3L).

• Like 1

gglaw
  • Applicant
10 hours ago, Bluedolphin said:

I got into Ottawa too! I don't have much to say except that Ottawa is clearly ideal for health law - that's why I applied there! I suspect that it's easier to go from health law to international health law than it is to go from international law to health law, in which case Ottawa seems like the better option. But hopefully you can get an opinion from an expert!

omg congratulations! That's exactly why I applied there too! I am sure everything will all work out! Congratulations again! 

10 hours ago, LMP said:

I don't really know what you think health law is or what international health law is. I'm not even sure the latter really exists. 

Hopefully you'll be forgiving of my candor, law school has made me prematurely bitter and I've heard one too many people talk about "international law". 

Anyways, to your question. No school in Canada will give you a definitive edge for health law (again, whatever that is). Let's break down why.

Three of your purported aims were, if I'm underating correctly, malpractice, personal injury and policy. And of course eventual work in the UN but we will leave that aside for now.

1. Malpractice 

There's no special benefit a certain school will give you in this area. This is tort law, everyone's got tort law. Maybe someone has a clinic in this area or a special course but that's hardly a big deal. 

2. Personal Injury 

This is tort law again. You'll take torts, you'll learn about negligance. This won't change at different schools. I don't see the health aspect here. 

3. Policy 

OK, here's actually where I'd give you the edge. I don't really see this as "law" but would agree that UO will help you land some government roles. If this is the goal I can see Ottawa helping you out. 

As for the UN, I won't comment on it except to I don't really see what kind of law you would be doing? This seems more like policy or development work. 

Thank you so much for your response and honesty! I truthfully am just going off of general "fields" I guess, I have a lot of interests that I wanna learn about and combine so evidently I don't really know much! But thank you so much for the breakdown I genuinely appreciate it a lot! 

9 hours ago, Damages said:

If you'd rather work in the GTA than in Ottawa, then go to Queen's.

If you'd rather work in Ottawa than in Queen's, then go to Ottawa.

Even if you think you are truly fine with working anywhere, just pick one of the two above.

Your interest in law will likely change in law school, and it is also likely that you won't be able to take all the courses that you want to take in law school (e.g., conflicts between courses, not offered in your year, you didn't like the prof, etc.).

Just my two cents (I am a 3L).

Thank you so much! Yes I definitely recognize the possibility of my interests changing which I have to keep in mind so I'll take a look at courses and see what school seems to peak my interest more! Thanks again! 

Bluedolphin
  • Law School Admit

@LMP Has a point, but something to keep in mind is Ottawa has more resources for health law, in the sense they have a Health Law Institute and a lot of faculty specializing in health law. So while a basic legal education (and some health law courses) can be offered anywhere there are definitely perks to going to a school with a strong health law presence. It does seem like you shouldn't go to a school just because it has a strong health law component as your legal interests can change.

And thanks @gglaw, this is an exciting time for both of us!! 😀

• Like 1