Deferrals -- Help!

Ketod

Ketod
  • Law School Admit

Good morning!
I got accepted into UOttawa Law, but am thinking of deferring for a year to do a masters I got offered a full ride for. 
Does anyone know what UOttawa deems a good reason to defer?

Im thinking I could say I need the time to save up (which is also sort of accurate) instead of just saying I want to do the masters because friends from Lakehead's law program said they were only allowed to defer for family emergencies and the like.

Has anyone here deferred? Does anyone know someone who deferred? What was your reason?

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Ketod
make it more specific

Being dishonest about the reasons for your deferral request seems like an all-around bad idea (not to mention ethically questionable).

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

If you want to request a deferral, request it. As far as I know, they’re usually granted on an “exceptional” basis. Nothing about your real or fake reasons strike me as particularly exceptional. But if you get it, great. If you don’t, that’s fine too. Offers of admission are made for the next year. They’re not meant to be indefinite. So if your request is declined, you can, as I did when I decided to take a gap year, simply reapply for the following cycle.

Edited by realpseudonym
Took out a gratuitous part
  • Thanks 1

I am in a similar situation as you.

However I told them honestly I got into my masters program prior to being accepted into Ottawa and as such, accepted the masters offer before I was even offered admission to JD. Explain that. The committee will either say yes or no.

If the latter you will simply reapply again and explain why you are doing so (I was accepted into X program before Ottawa, I asked for a deferral, it was not accepted, and as such I am reapplying).

Not rocket science but don't fib to them. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1