Looking for a place to live

heyhey

heyhey
  • Law Student

Hey everyone!

I just took my offer from Ottawa to start in September 2022 and am looking for somewhere to live.  Does anyone know of any affordable areas where students typically live? 

For reference, I'd like to live by myself, would require public transportation, and ideally I'd be close to a gym (I go every day). Close to campus would be great too!

Anything helps! Thanks!

Juh
  • Applicant

Hey! Depends on your budget but I would look at sandy hill and byward market. Sandy hill is a bit of a nicer residential area and where the Uottawa campus is located whereas byward is more of the core downtown with bars and restaurants. I’ve been looking lately and there are lots of bachelors in those areas for around $1000-$1300. You can also look at centretown, near Elgin street will be your best bet if you want to get closer to Uottawa there. 

ComTruise
  • Law School Admit

Following this thread, provisionally accepted for Ottawa. How is the rental market in the surrounding area of campus? Residency fees for campus apartments are looking really rough! Looking for single occupancy bachelors (private kitchen and washroom would be nice).

blueberry99
  • Law School Admit

Hey!

I live in Ottawa - rent is pretty high here (depending on where you're coming from that is). I would expect to pay at least $1000, but more like $1200-1400, for a decent bachelor/one bedroom. I personally split a 2 bedroom at the moment and we each pay $850.

Check out the following areas to be physically close to Ottawa U:

- Sandy Hill mostly populated by Ottawa U students and is relatively inexpensive. Just be careful because some of the apartments in this area are truly terrible.

- Byward Market : Rent can be higher here, since it's the downtown core. There's lots of bars and restaurants nearby.

- Centretown : a little further away from campus, but it would be easy to bus to and from. Some sections are still pretty close, like the Golden Triangle. Depending on which part you're in, you can easily take the train, which has it's own stop at Ottawa U. Centretown has cheaper options, and is a cool neighborhood. 

- Vanier : Is east of campus, but is also easy to take public transport from. Rent is cheaper, but some people think it's a "rougher" part of the city

If you don't mind relying on public transit, anywhere that's along the train route would be decent since there's a stop directly on campus anyways. You could check out Westboro (more expensive), or Mechanicsville. Both of these are in walking distance to a train stop. The train is notorious for breaking down in the winter though lol so be forewarned.

Feel free to PM me if you have more questions!

Edited by blueberry99
  • Like 5

dimsum1
  • Law School Admit
1 hour ago, blueberry99 said:

- Centretown : a little further away from campus, but it would be easy to bus to and from. Some sections are still pretty close, like the Golden Triangle. Depending on which part you're in, you can easily take the train, which has it's own stop at Ottawa U. Centretown has cheaper options, and is a cool neighborhood. 

I live in Centretown and currently work close to UOttawa.  It's about a 30 min walk, depending on which part of Centretown you're in.

It's not bad in the spring/summer/fall.  Winter can be iffy and I'd consider taking transit, if OC Transpo isn't up to its usual antics.

Edited by dimsum1
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
randomguy314
  • Law School Admit

I'm leaning towards somewhere walking distance myself. In a city without a metro system that's a top priority for me. 

Prices seem to be ~$1,400/mo if you're living alone. Problem seems to be that the newer buildings are all a bit further. I'm hoping I can find a clean, renovated place that's right by campus. I'm not trying to wait outside for a bus in the winter. 

Ottawa is expensive for what it is. But I won't complain, I'm just happy to be studying law somewhere lol. 

• Like 1