Disheartened

TangoMango

TangoMango
  • Law Student

Hello all. I just did my 7th or 8th interview, made it to the second interview and them got edged out by the other candidate. When I ask for feedback I keep getting told I'm a strong candidate who will do well but nothing is sticking. I'm starting to feel down when I get an interview instead of excited because it feels like an exercise in futility. It also feels like we're coming to crunch time and it's starting to really stress me out. I have another degree to fall back on but if I don't at least get licensed as a lawyer it feels like a waste of three years and a huge amount of money.... I guess I'm wondering how people keep their heads up. 

Darth Vader
  • Lawyer
9 minutes ago, TangoMango said:

Hello all. I just did my 7th or 8th interview, made it to the second interview and them got edged out by the other candidate. When I ask for feedback I keep getting told I'm a strong candidate who will do well but nothing is sticking. I'm starting to feel down when I get an interview instead of excited because it feels like an exercise in futility. It also feels like we're coming to crunch time and it's starting to really stress me out. I have another degree to fall back on but if I don't at least get licensed as a lawyer it feels like a waste of three years and a huge amount of money.... I guess I'm wondering how people keep their heads up. 

There are a few positions that will pop up in the next couple of months. But since you are in 3L, I recommend looking into the Ryerson Law Practice Program. You get to do a 4 month placement with an employer, and sometimes that placement can turn into a full-time job after your call. More importantly, it will get you licensed to the bar. 

diddlysquatflenderson
  • Law Student

It just takes one firm and one offer and you're done ! - that's what I kept telling myself when I started the whole process from last May to the end of first semester of 3L. So no matter how many applications and interviews you go through, you just have to think that the next one could be the last one and it should help keep you motivated enough to put in a good faith effort. And once you do get one, you'll be on equal footing with everyone, so there's nothing wrong with taking your time to get something. Good luck with the final stretch!

• Like 2