Georgetown (90k USD tuition) vs UBC (114CAD tuition)

Internationalcandidate

Internationalcandidate
  • Applicant

Hello!

I am an international candidate who had applied to US and Canadian law schools. I am currently deciding between Georgetown and UBC at both of which the total tuition is approximately equal for me. I would be entirely dependent on student loans and would be paying an interest at 10% 

If you were in my position what would have you chosen. I really want to live in Vancouver and is not particularly inclined towards going to the US. 

Pendragon
  • Lawyer

Kind of a no brainer when you compare both schools' Wikipedia pages and employment reports — especially if costs are about the same. Georgetown is in the top 15 law schools in the US out of 200+ schools and considered to be one of the best in the world. 

How badly do you want to live in BC? Starting salaries in US big law is 215k + bonus right now. If I was paying 100k+ in tuition, I'd be considered working in the US for a few years before coming to Canada. Are you rich where money is not an issue for you? 

BlockedQuebecois
  • Lawyer

At that debt and interest rate, you essentially need to go to Georgetown. Assuming you keep your total debt to around $150,000 CAD, there are a lot of law jobs in Canada where you would struggle to make interest only payments on that loan.

Even over a ten year term, you’re looking at paying $2,000 a month as a minimum payment. A lot of lawyers in Canada would struggle with that payment, particularly as they have children, try to save for a home or retirement, etc.

You may also want to actually reflect on whether you want to be a lawyer at all. At that debt level, unless Georgetown has some kind of income contingent loan system (or your student loan provider does), you’re essentially locking yourself into practicing in big law for at least a few years. You need to consider whether that’s what you want in life. 

Edited by BlockedQuebecois
  • Like 1

ProudCrocodile
  • Law School Admit

I agree that georgetown offers better salary, but seeing you are international, you need to pay attention to visas. If you don't need h1b to work in the states, I'd say georgetown is the easy choice. Otherwise you may need to return to your home country, or at least leave the states. Canada's work permit is easier to get than american ones.

LordBONSAI
  • Applicant
1 hour ago, ProudCrocodile said:

I agree that georgetown offers better salary, but seeing you are international, you need to pay attention to visas. If you don't need h1b to work in the states, I'd say georgetown is the easy choice. Otherwise you may need to return to your home country, or at least leave the states. Canada's work permit is easier to get than american ones.

Not to argue with you, but from what I've learned about foreign lawyers in the states, if you can land a big law job (which is apparently achievable out of Georgetown), then work visa (H1B) isn't going to be a hurdle. The only issue I understand about working in the US without citizenship or permanent residency is the transition from temporary visa to green card, which could take years to apply for. Regardless, with work experience in American big law, OP can easily lateral to BC if they wish. Living in Vancouver can be more affordable with the extra $ made in the US. 

Edited by LordBONSAI

Internationalcandidate
  • Applicant

Thanks a lot guys for your speedy replies. @LordBONSAI yeah big law firms are willing to sponsor H1B readily but still it is a lottery based system, in which I would be having close to a 60 percent chance. Even after I don't get a lottery, I know that firms could transfer me to their international office in London and then I could come back to US after one year on a L1 visa, which could be made valid for 7 years. 

@BlockedQuebecoisyes I am aware that I would be locking myself in big law for at-least a few years and I believe I would be fine with that. I am mostly interested in International arbitration/taxation and intend to work in those areas. 

@Pendragon TBH I am pretty much broke and come from a developing country. I want to live in Vancouver, Canada because I believe it is a more welcoming country than USA. And given the current political scenario in the US, according to me there is a very high probability of Trump to come back, which would not at all be favorable to people like me as he explicitly dislike my religion and the country I come from. 

How difficult would it be to lateral to Vancouver after working 2-3 years in big law in the US or UK? And what do you guys think would the situation of express entry visa be after 5-6 years?

I guess Georgetown, would be a better option for me. Thanks a ton for replying back. 

Arrowtotheny
  • Law School Admit

4 hours ago, Internationalcandidate said:

I want to live in Vancouver, Canada because I believe it is a more welcoming country than USA. And given the current political scenario in the US, according to me there is a very high probability of Trump to come back, which would not at all be favorable to people like me as he explicitly dislike my religion and the country I come from. 

Can't comment on the law schools. But based on my experience and everything I have seen, Vancouver is not as "welcoming" to immigrants as it advertises itself to be. If you are opting to settle in Van for this reason alone, you might want to reconsider. I wouldn't presume major cities in the US (e.g., NYC ) to be better or worse in this regard. Trump or no trump, you will likely face an equal amount of xenophobia/racism in your daily life regardless of where you settle. This might provide additional incentive to go to Georgetown in case you want to just live and work in the US long-term. 

Take this with a grain of salt. Obviously this is anecdotal. 

Edited by Arrowtotheny

• 2 weeks later...
Glamurosa
  • Law School Admit

As a Vancouverite I can tell you the racism/xenophobia/Islamophobia over there is insidious. It's that subtle academic kind, an interesting double punch of a micro aggression quickly followed by gaslighting if you so much as raise a brow at the well intentioned white folks. Personally preferable to being threatened with deportation for breathing near a Trumper, but it's up to you to decide how you like your racism served. 

Edited by Glamurosa