What to do about expiring offer?

AJC26

AJC26
  • Law School Admit

As the title says, I've received an admissions offer from Queen's, but the offer expires April 1. However, I haven't heard from other schools at this point and Queens isn't my first choice. Can i pressure my other options to make a decision before then or defer the deadline or something? Admissions timelines advise decisions can go through June, so I don't want to decline Queen's only to not get accepted into my preferred options. Can anyone advise on the best course of action in this scenario?

Hi,

I am unsure about queens, but I know for oz you can provisionally accept, and then your offer is essentially extended until July 1. With it becoming a firm acceptance automatically on said date. However any time from now until July 1, you can resind the offer. I imagine it's the same for all Ontario schools, but I would call/email queens asking about their provisional acceptance policy. That way you can essentially extend your offer a couple months if it's the same as Oz.

mjslava
  • Applicant

I read about someone on here who’s offer at UBC was about to expire and they called UVIC to inquire if an offer would be made. They ended up receiving a verbal offer over the phone. I would do the same.

2 hours ago, AJC26 said:

As the title says, I've received an admissions offer from Queen's, but the offer expires April 1. However, I haven't heard from other schools at this point and Queens isn't my first choice. Can i pressure my other options to make a decision before then or defer the deadline or something? Admissions timelines advise decisions can go through June, so I don't want to decline Queen's only to not get accepted into my preferred options. Can anyone advise on the best course of action in this scenario?

You can Provisionally accept Queen's offer.

https://www.ouac.on.ca/guide/olsas-offers/

Kobe
  • Law Student

Provisionally accept and don’t call the other admissions offices, unless the other schools are in province like BC where that is the accepted way of doing things. The whole point of the provisional acceptance is to allow for you to hear back from other schools. I think most of the Ontario schools say not to contact them about potential offers. Also make sure to check all the programs you still want to be considered for when you do the provisional acceptance. As others said this means you have until July 1, at which point the acceptance becomes firm.

I was also accepted at Queens and am waiting for other schools, I provisionally accepted the offer as to not let it expire.

Edited by Kobe

VitalGiraffe
  • Law Student
1 hour ago, Kobe said:

Provisionally accept and don’t call the other admissions offices, unless the other schools are in province like BC where that is the accepted way of doing things.

Should be mentioned that OP could wait until the deposit deadline to call BC. They could firmly accept Queen's if they wanted to and still get an offer from BC afterwards.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
xj1998
  • Applicant
On 3/6/2022 at 6:31 PM, Kobe said:

Provisionally accept and don’t call the other admissions offices, unless the other schools are in province like BC where that is the accepted way of doing things. The whole point of the provisional acceptance is to allow for you to hear back from other schools. I think most of the Ontario schools say not to contact them about potential offers. Also make sure to check all the programs you still want to be considered for when you do the provisional acceptance. As others said this means you have until July 1, at which point the acceptance becomes firm.

I was also accepted at Queens and am waiting for other schools, I provisionally accepted the offer as to not let it expire.

Do you know if besides your provisional acceptance it says the offer expired on April 1? Despite provisionally accepting, im slightly concerned I did something wrong.

Kobe
  • Law Student
1 hour ago, xj1998 said:

Do you know if besides your provisional acceptance it says the offer expired on April 1? Despite provisionally accepting, im slightly concerned I did something wrong.

Feel like I don't fully understand the question, but when you provisionally accept it will say you provisionally accepted under your choices/offers. I think it takes a day to update and that's how you know you did it right. Hope that was helpful

• Like 1

xj1998
  • Applicant
1 hour ago, Kobe said:

Feel like I don't fully understand the question, but when you provisionally accept it will say you provisionally accepted under your choices/offers. I think it takes a day to update and that's how you know you did it right. Hope that was helpful

Sorry, let me clarify, on OLSAS it indicates I provisionally accepted, but also indicates the offer expired on April 1. I just wanted to verify that provisionally accepting has rendered the expiry meaningless.

Kobe
  • Law Student
1 hour ago, xj1998 said:

Sorry, let me clarify, on OLSAS it indicates I provisionally accepted, but also indicates the offer expired on April 1. I just wanted to verify that provisionally accepting has rendered the expiry meaningless.

Yes that is correct, you can click on the provisionally accepted icon and change it to firm at any time before it automatically goes firm in July. 

You're all good. 

• Thanks 1