What can i do before law school that will actually prepare/help me for the next three years?

vans

Hey so I am an international student about to start law school this fall, and I wanted to get some advice on how to spend the last few months before starting law school.

I quit my job so I have a lot of time on my hands. I've heard from some people that the best way to prepare for law school is to enjoy the last few months before all the stress begins, but I was wondering if there were other productive things to do. Is there a way I can get a head start on the studies? Anything I should know that would have helped you out if you were a 1L?

Any insight is appreciated!

Rashabon
  • Lawyer

There are a lot of threads about this on the forum. I suggest reading through those. The people who told you to just relax and not do anything are right. The only things worth doing are not law school related - find a routine that works for you to maintain your health (fitness or diet or whatever), find hobbies that you can engage in outside of law school and get all your medical and dental and related shit up to date.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Darth Vader
  • Lawyer

Getting ahead in your studies is pointless since you don't know who will be teaching your first year courses and the course syllabus. One thing I would suggest is maybe getting experience in a field you are looking to go into. For example, if your goal is corporate law, then maybe get some business experience. It doesn't have to be in law specifically. If your goal is to work in government or public interest, then maybe volunteer at an NGO. 

Reading, writing, and practicing your typing is always good.

Or you can just relax and maintain your physical and mental fitness.

LMP
  • Articling Student
37 minutes ago, vans said:

Hey so I am an international student about to start law school this fall, and I wanted to get some advice on how to spend the last few months before starting law school.

I quit my job so I have a lot of time on my hands. I've heard from some people that the best way to prepare for law school is to enjoy the last few months before all the stress begins, but I was wondering if there were other productive things to do. Is there a way I can get a head start on the studies? Anything I should know that would have helped you out if you were a 1L?

Any insight is appreciated!

Check my comments in past threads for answers to this. 

In addition I'll add that should you have any accomodation needs, get it sorted in advance. 

North
  • Law Student

Adding a thought here based on your status as an international student. Assuming that you'll be moving to a new (potentially unfamiliar) city, it may be worth considering moving a few weeks earlier in order to get settled. Personally, I moved into my new place only a week prior to law school starting, and found that my efforts to get settled definitely interfered with my studying for the first few weeks. 

All this to say, if it's financially and practically feasible, get comfortable and establish a routine in advance! 

VitalGiraffe
  • Law Student
On 3/8/2022 at 12:03 AM, Rashabon said:

There are a lot of threads about this on the forum. I suggest reading through those. The people who told you to just relax and not do anything are right. The only things worth doing are not law school related - find a routine that works for you to maintain your health (fitness or diet or whatever), find hobbies that you can engage in outside of law school and get all your medical and dental and related shit up to date.

I'm considering teaching the LSAT. Would you not recommend that?

Rashabon
  • Lawyer
18 minutes ago, VitalGiraffe said:

I'm considering teaching the LSAT. Would you not recommend that?

"Do nothing" as in don't prepare for law school. Obviously do something during the summer besides meditate.

• Like 1
  • LOL 2

VitalGiraffe
  • Law Student
14 hours ago, Rashabon said:

"Do nothing" as in don't prepare for law school. Obviously do something during the summer besides meditate.

I quoted your whole message but really I was replying to "The only things worth doing are not law school related". The LSAT is law school related.

Rashabon
  • Lawyer
2 hours ago, VitalGiraffe said:

I quoted your whole message but really I was replying to "The only things worth doing are not law school related". The LSAT is law school related.

No it isn't.

• Like 4