Ottawa vs Windsor

blackeye

blackeye
  • Applicant

hi everyone! 

just want to know your thoughts on the two schools, perhaps for someone looking to go into business law and land a good job? hopefully in toronto or vancouver (from toronto but would love to live in van) 

still very open to other areas of law though, can't say i know enough to be sure about my decision! thank you in advance for taking the time to respond

TheDevilIKnow
  • Lawyer

While the annual OCI stats are not everything, they're a decent place to start. While not all "business law" jobs are found in OCIs, arguably the "best" ones are. Or at least the most "sought after" ones.

You will see that for the Toronto OCIs, Windsor and Ottawa are very close, with 18% and 15% (respectively) getting Toronto OCI jobs:

https://ultravires.ca/2021/11/toronto-summer-2022-2l-recruit-numbers/

Interestingly, for Vancouver this is not the case, with Ottawa students getting 10 spots and Windsor only 2:

http://ultravires.ca/2021/11/vancouver-2022-2l-summer-recruitment-numbers/

Lots of caveats to apply (this doesn't reflect how much of the class actually applied for these jobs, differences between annual cohorts, small sample size for Vancouver, etc.) But these stats are hopefully a good starting place for you. I would say that, as a Torontonian, your odds are better in Toronto so I wouldn't worry too much about the Vancouver stats. But if you really think you might be keen on Van, then perhaps the better U of O numbers in Vancouver are something to consider.

Another consideration is that if you decide you might actually be interested in government work, then you'll be near to lots of opportunities in Ottawa that you obviously wouldn't have in Windsor. Including more possibilities for clerking without having to move. For me that would have been useful. (Would have loved to try and clerk at the FC or TCC as kind of a public law nerd, but not feasible with a family living in BC).

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
Fyodor
  • Law School Admit
On 3/10/2022 at 1:47 AM, TheDevilIKnow said:

While the annual OCI stats are not everything, they're a decent place to start. While not all "business law" jobs are found in OCIs, arguably the "best" ones are. Or at least the most "sought after" ones.

You will see that for the Toronto OCIs, Windsor and Ottawa are very close, with 18% and 15% (respectively) getting Toronto OCI jobs:

https://ultravires.ca/2021/11/toronto-summer-2022-2l-recruit-numbers/

Interestingly, for Vancouver this is not the case, with Ottawa students getting 10 spots and Windsor only 2:

http://ultravires.ca/2021/11/vancouver-2022-2l-summer-recruitment-numbers/

Lots of caveats to apply (this doesn't reflect how much of the class actually applied for these jobs, differences between annual cohorts, small sample size for Vancouver, etc.) But these stats are hopefully a good starting place for you. I would say that, as a Torontonian, your odds are better in Toronto so I wouldn't worry too much about the Vancouver stats. But if you really think you might be keen on Van, then perhaps the better U of O numbers in Vancouver are something to consider.

Another consideration is that if you decide you might actually be interested in government work, then you'll be near to lots of opportunities in Ottawa that you obviously wouldn't have in Windsor. Including more possibilities for clerking without having to move. For me that would have been useful. (Would have loved to try and clerk at the FC or TCC as kind of a public law nerd, but not feasible with a family living in BC).

Is it possible to get clerking positions like this and only speak English?

scooter
  • Law Student
8 minutes ago, Fyodor said:

Is it possible to get clerking positions like this and only speak English?

Yes. Bilingualism will help your chances but it's not a strict requirement

• Like 1

Fyodor
  • Law School Admit
22 hours ago, scooter said:

Yes. Bilingualism will help your chances but it's not a strict requirement

Ok that’s great to know that door isn’t practically shut! 

Thanks 🙂