BigLaw - Corporate/M&A Associate - Ask me Anything

MichaelClayton

Rashabon
  • Lawyer
1 hour ago, Dghoul said:

This is just out of curiosity, does it require extensive financial knowledge to go into the M/A; lending area of biglaw? Or is it going to be an asset but not required; or just something you will pick up along the way?

The latter two.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

theycancallyouhoju
  • Lawyer
On 11/5/2023 at 1:17 AM, Dghoul said:

This is just out of curiosity, does it require extensive financial knowledge to go into the M/A; lending area of biglaw? Or is it going to be an asset but not required; or just something you will pick up along the way?

As Rash says, the latter two. But, at least as a PE lawyer, I would say most associates don’t ever really try to learn how the financial logic of their clients works. More than half are really just trying to survive long enough to get an in house job they want. Most of the rest try to only learn the finance stuff they need in order to write the relevant documents. A few try to learn how their clients think in depth. It’s not just picked up along the way by osmosis. You have to make an effort. 

Edited by theycancallyouhoju
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

C_Terror
  • Lawyer
3 hours ago, theycancallyouhoju said:

As Rash says, the latter two. But, at least as a PE lawyer, I would say most associates don’t ever really try to learn how the financial logic of their clients works. More than half are really just trying to survive long enough to get an in house job they want. Most of the rest try to only learn the finance stuff they need in order to write the relevant documents. A few try to learn how their clients think in depth. It’s not just picked up along the way by osmosis. You have to make an effort. 

Which is why applicants with past finance/business background or experience is such an asset (in my opinion).

From actually understanding credit facility agreements when you're doing DD as a student to knowing why the PE client requires certain reps and warranties or why they'd want to do a pre-close re-org when you're more senior is extremely beneficial in my experience. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
canuckfanatic
  • Lawyer
On 11/6/2023 at 8:07 AM, theycancallyouhoju said:

More than half are really just trying to survive long enough to get an in house job they want.

Guilty