Can I negotiate scholarship offer in Canada?

wideload

wideload
  • Applicant

I'm applying from US and it's a common practice here to negotiate for a higher scholarship offer with an offer from a different law school. Is this practice acceptable in Canada? Would it be possible to use a scholarship offer from a US law school to negotiate with Canadian law schools? Thank you in advance!

I have absolutely no idea, but it never hurts to try.

I would guess the chances of them negotiating against an American offer is very low compared to them negotiating against another Canadian school.

Renerik
  • Law Student

The short answer is no, you can't use a scholarships to leverage money from a different Canadian school.

Canadian schools have a smaller budget for entrance scholarships than their US counterparts. If you're really competitive, they'll give you something. UWO won't particularly care that you got a full ride at a T60 nor could they afford to offer you a similar sized scholarship.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Renerik said:

The short answer is no, you can't use a scholarships to leverage money from a different Canadian school.

Canadian schools have a smaller budget for entrance scholarships than their US counterparts. If you're really competitive, they'll give you something. UWO won't particularly care that you got a full ride at a T60 nor could they afford to offer you a similar sized scholarship.

Imagine:

"Ya I got a full ride to St.Francis online law school"

UBC: "oh shit we need this guy. We will pay you salary to attend"

• LOL 4

ellewoodswannabe
  • Applicant

Do you assume it would be similar for an attempt to negotiate a Canadian school vs another Canadian school ? I received a Dean of Law Scholarship at UWO and tried to email UBC and Queens inquiring about whether I would hear from them by April 1st (Deadline for Western scholarship). Do you think any admissions committees would care enough for this to impact anything ?

LMP
  • Articling Student
50 minutes ago, ellewoodswannabe said:

Do you assume it would be similar for an attempt to negotiate a Canadian school vs another Canadian school ? I received a Dean of Law Scholarship at UWO and tried to email UBC and Queens inquiring about whether I would hear from them by April 1st (Deadline for Western scholarship). Do you think any admissions committees would care enough for this to impact anything ?

Almost certainly not. You can try but Canada doesn't really have stuff like scholarship negotiation of LOCI, mostly because we don't have to worry about usnews rankings. 

Edited by LMP

ellewoodswannabe
  • Applicant
Just now, LMP said:

Almost certainly not. You can try but Canada does really have stuff like scholarship negotiation of LOCI, mostly because we don't have to worry about usnews rankings. 

Thank you! I figured as much. Just wondered if it could help my acceptance chances as I would love to get into UBC/Queens regardless of funding. 

Turtles
  • Law Student
3 hours ago, ellewoodswannabe said:

Most people will say no, but I had a different experience. When I emailed Osgoode to ask whether an offer was forthcoming because I needed to commit to another school otherwise, my Osgoode offer serendipitously* appeared the next morning. When I emailed Western to ask about bursaries after their system had been down, they directed me to their financial aid manager who expedited a review and responded to me on a weekend so I could decide before the deadline.  

The point is many of the people working in these offices are genuinely nice people. If you're polite and to the point (so as to not waste their time), and your request is reasonable, you might be surprised at how helpful they might be.

* I acknowledge the possibility it may have been purely coincidental.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Turtles said:

Most people will say no, but I had a different experience. When I emailed Osgoode to ask whether an offer was forthcoming because I needed to commit to another school otherwise, my Osgoode offer serendipitously* appeared the next morning. When I emailed Western to ask about bursaries after their system had been down, they directed me to their financial aid manager who expedited a review and responded to me on a weekend so I could decide before the deadline.  

The point is many of the people working in these offices are genuinely nice people. If you're polite and to the point (so as to not waste their time), and your request is reasonable, you might be surprised at how helpful they might be.

* I acknowledge the possibility it may have been purely coincidental.

Did you have very competitive stats?

mjslava
  • Applicant
20 minutes ago, qsizzle said:

Did you have very competitive stats?

Competitive for a turtle..

• Like 1
  • LOL 1