uOttawa vs Queen’s

coffeelover

coffeelover
  • Law School Admit

As the deadline for provisional acceptances is getting closer, I have been really debating between going to Ottawa and Queens. I would like to know if going to Queens will provide me with better opportunities to practice corporate law in Toronto or Vancouver in comparison to going to school in Ottawa.

I heard of some people going to Ottawa and securing placements in Toronto biglaw but I would like to know what your thoughts would be. I know Ottawa doesn’t provide any business law clinics but does that really matter? Some people have even said the courses you choose don’t really matter for what you want to practice, it’s your grades that will determine which firm you go.

For context: I am from Ottawa so if I were to go to Queens, I would have to pay rent and I am wondering if it is the finances are really worth it in the end. I am really struggling to decide and I know I don’t have much time! Any insight would help a lot. Thank you in advance. 

Edited by coffeelover

6 minutes ago, coffeelover said:

As the deadline for provisional acceptances is getting closer, I have been really debating between going to Ottawa and Queens. I would like to know if going to Queens will provide me with better opportunities to practice corporate law in Toronto or Vancouver in comparison to going to school in Ottawa.

I heard of some people going to Ottawa and securing placements in Toronto biglaw but I would like to know what your thoughts would be. I know Ottawa doesn’t provide any business law clinics but does that really matter? Some people have even said the courses you choose don’t really matter for what you want to practice, it’s your grades that will determine which firm you go.

For context: I am from Ottawa so if I were to go to Queens, I would have to pay rent and I am wondering if it is the finances are really worth it in the end. I am really struggling to decide and I know I don’t have much time! Any insight would help a lot. Thank you in advance. 

If you wanna do corporate big law go to Queens. Their placement numbers are  better than Ottawa's on Bay Street. 

The clinics are really not that important for your purposes. 

coffeelover
  • Law School Admit
16 minutes ago, LMP said:

If you wanna do corporate big law go to Queens. Their placement numbers are  better than Ottawa's on Bay Street. 

The clinics are really not that important for your purposes. 

Do you think I would be missing out on opportunities for placements if I decide to go to Ottawa? 

3 minutes ago, coffeelover said:

Do you think I would be missing out on opportunities for placements if I decide to go to Ottawa? 

I would be confident in saying you'd be at a disadvantage. In the last recuritment cycle Ottawa placed 10% less students than Queens. That may seem small but remeber Ottawa and Queens placed 25% and 15% respectively. 

Now if you're going to be an A student and land in the top 10% of your class, it may not matter where you go. But how confident can you be you'll be in that 10%? Maybe you think you'll only be in the top third of your class. In which case it seems clear that Queens is the better option. 

See what I'm getting at? You don't know how you'll do in law school, so if you want corporate big law you should pick the option that gives you a little more leeway. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
parm_789
  • Applicant
On 3/13/2022 at 11:18 PM, LMP said:

I would be confident in saying you'd be at a disadvantage. In the last recuritment cycle Ottawa placed 10% less students than Queens. That may seem small but remeber Ottawa and Queens placed 25% and 15% respectively. 

Now if you're going to be an A student and land in the top 10% of your class, it may not matter where you go. But how confident can you be you'll be in that 10%? Maybe you think you'll only be in the top third of your class. In which case it seems clear that Queens is the better option. 

See what I'm getting at? You don't know how you'll do in law school, so if you want corporate big law you should pick the option that gives you a little more leeway. 

Wow that's interesting! I'd love to do more research on this because I am in a similar position of deciding between 3 different schools. Would you mind sharing where I can find these stats so I can compare other schools?