Is it over ?

CL19

CL19
  • Law Student

Hi, I’ve been frequently checking my application portal and this forum for months, and there are just a few offers sent out in March so far (based on my observation) so I am wondering if this waiting game is approaching to its end. Yes I am still super anxious because my application status hasn’t been updated since 2021-11-12, which drives me crazy. Any thoughts on why it’s so slow? 

dimsum1
  • Law School Admit
14 minutes ago, CL19 said:

Hi, I’ve been frequently checking my application portal and this forum for months, and there are just a few offers sent out in March so far (based on my observation) so I am wondering if this waiting game is approaching to its end. Yes I am still super anxious because my application status hasn’t been updated since 2021-11-12, which drives me crazy. Any thoughts on why it’s so slow? 

My guess is that most of the acceptances (like mine) have a deadline of April 1, so they're waiting to see who declines before releasing more acceptances.

Edited by dimsum1

uoftearsalumna
  • Applicant

Hey, I feel exactly the same. My status has been under evaluation since the beginning, like yours. I've been told i've got good chances at ottawa, though I was just rejected from ryerson so I honestly don't know what to think about anything anymore (I know they're not the same and prob have different criteria, but still shocked and don't know what to think).  

My guess is, like @dimsum1 suggested, they're waiting till after April to release more. I'm finishing undergrad, so I imagine they're waiting for my final grades (that's at least what i'm telling myself lol). Ottawa does roll out A's till August - as I know two people that got accepted in May and July, respectively. 

Hoping for the best for both of us!

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

3 hours ago, CL19 said:

It is not over yet. Ottawa gave out offers up to late August.

With  cGPA: 3.47 LSAT: 162- you have a pretty good chance

• Thanks 1

lawyerpk
  • Applicant
14 hours ago, uoftearsalumna said:

Hey, I feel exactly the same. My status has been under evaluation since the beginning, like yours. I've been told i've got good chances at ottawa, though I was just rejected from ryerson so I honestly don't know what to think about anything anymore (I know they're not the same and prob have different criteria, but still shocked and don't know what to think).  

My guess is, like @dimsum1 suggested, they're waiting till after April to release more. I'm finishing undergrad, so I imagine they're waiting for my final grades (that's at least what i'm telling myself lol). Ottawa does roll out A's till August - as I know two people that got accepted in May and July, respectively. 

Hoping for the best for both of us!

I'm in the exact same boat as you! Just got rejected from Lincoln Alexander and finishing undergrad so hopefully they're just waiting for my grades, haha. 

Good luck! 

• Like 1

Rocky Road
  • Applicant

I thought I was the only one - definitely in the same boat! Not sure if they are waiting until after April or if they are just slower than the other schools. Any thoughts on if the convoy maybe delayed things? 

• Like 1

Pastrey
  • Law Student

Last year I was rejected on March 25th. We started to see rejections a day or two before that. The waitlisted i think started coming out shortly after if memory serves me correctly. Some people didn’t hear until summer months.  I imagine we will start to see more movement in the next week or two.

uoftearsalumna
  • Applicant
4 minutes ago, Pastrey said:

Last year I was rejected on March 25th. We started to see rejections a day or two before that. The waitlisted i think started coming out shortly after if memory serves me correctly. Some people didn’t hear until summer months.  I imagine we will start to see more movement in the next week or two.

Sorry to hear that you were rejected. Do you mind sharing your stats at the time? Also, are you applying/get in anywhere this cycle? 

LordBONSAI
  • Applicant

I'm still waiting to hear back with a 166 & 3.89. However, I know someone who got rejected previously with higher stats than mine. There seem to be a sort of yield protection.

Edited by LordBONSAI

Pastrey
  • Law Student
2 hours ago, uoftearsalumna said:

Sorry to hear that you were rejected. Do you mind sharing your stats at the time? Also, are you applying/get in anywhere this cycle? 

Oh I knew I was a long shot. I still am. I applied under the mature category. I had no university experience at all, a 20 year old college diploma for paralegal studies (my grades were A’s and A+‘S but they don’t count that in the OLSAS GPA), and a 154 LSAT. I have worked as a paralegal for over 20 years.

Applied again this year. I raised my LSAT to a 159 and took a university course last summer which I obtained a 4.0 as final grade. Hoping to tie the University credit to my grades in college, to show I am capable.  Still not  a lot, but better than I had last year. 🙂

BadGamer6
  • Applicant

I'd say the admission for this year is far from over. I wasn't rejected until late July last year so I think they are just waiting for the April 1 deadline before more offers are being sent out - and after that it's just on a rolling base.

• Like 1

diddio93
  • Applicant
On 3/15/2022 at 12:06 PM, LordBONSAI said:

I'm still waiting to hear back with a 166 & 3.89. However, I know someone who got rejected previously with higher stats than mine. There seem to be a sort of yield protection.

What do you mean by yield projection? lol how can they reject people with better stats that makes no sense? (saying this because I have better stats then most people that have been admitted but have yet to hear back)

gglaw
  • Applicant
1 hour ago, diddio93 said:

What do you mean by yield projection? lol how can they reject people with better stats that makes no sense? (saying this because I have better stats then most people that have been admitted but have yet to hear back)

yield Protection, if I am not understood, is a way for schools to protect themselves from I guess being "second choices" to applicants and being left with too many open seats. If you have crazy stats that can get you into better schools then they will hold off on an offer or reject you because they feel that you will reject them. However, from my understanding this is MUCH more common in the US than it is in Canada because idek if schools can see where else you applied. 

Again I could easily be wrong and maybe my definition is falling short.

We also have to remember that stats aren't everything. I have seen people get rejected with great stats but their PS or EC's or references fell short.NOT SAYING THATS YOUR CASE BECAUSE I DO NOT KNOW THAT but just putting some things into perspective! 

I am wishing you all the best nonetheless and hope that you do hear back soon! 

On 3/15/2022 at 12:06 PM, LordBONSAI said:

You should get an offer soon.

I don't think Ottawa practice " yield protection".

3 hours ago, diddio93 said:

Windsor ?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
CL19
  • Law Student

Update: I AM IN ! Notified by email this morning 

It’s not over till it’s over.

Thanks for everyone's help and kind words. After being waitlisted by Windsor and Calgary, I thought I would probably get in nowhere this cycle but I am so wrong. For people who're still waiting, don’t lose hope. My stats are not impressive and I only have a few ECs. This cycle is super slow and you'll heard back soon!

• Like 1

ng5492022
  • Law School Admit
1 hour ago, CL19 said:

Thanks for everyone's help and kind words. After being waitlisted by Windsor and Calgary, I thought I would probably get in nowhere this cycle but I am so wrong. For people who're still waiting, don’t lose hope. My stats are not impressive and I only have a few ECs. This cycle is super slow and you'll heard back soon!

Congrats!

• Hugs 1

7 hours ago, CL19 said:

bingo

• Hugs 1

ellewoodsinottawa
  • Applicant

It's so random people writing about their stats, completely forgetting (as described above), your references, your work history, your personal statement, your application completeness in general. I wish we could retire this "stats" thinking as it's vapid and just seems to bolster people who think they're entitled apart from those who get in on other merits. All Canadian law schools do rolling up to and including August. Don't lose faith!! You got this! Ultimately your application lies in the hands of a few who decide your future and you can always reapply next year. Love to everyone. 

• Like 9