A question about my bejewelled nose and its potential articling interview implications

cokezero

cokezero
  • Law Student

Dumb question: I’m in 2L. I have a septum piercing. I wear a very small gold ring in it so it’s not really obtrusive but it’s obviously there. Should I remove it for interviewing for articles or are potential employers unlikely to care about this type of thing?

thanks!

Fruitdealer
  • Lawyer
8 minutes ago, BlockedQuebecois said:

It's definitely for OP to decide, but it's worth noting there's a difference between people who care about whether you display body modifications during interviews and people who care about whether you have body modifications at all. 

I have tattoos, and I imagine every legal employer I've had would care if I showed up to my interview with visible tattoos. But none of them have cared if my tattoos are visible while I'm just working in the office. 

Like BQ is alluding, I would just remove the ring for interviews and wear it once hired.

artsydork
  • Lawyer
1 hour ago, CheeseToast said:

Totally depends on firm, interviewer, practice area, etc. I would think.

What Cheese said. Bay Street? Maybe not the best place for during interviews. Union side labour firm? Go nuts. Or just flip it into your nose as my friend did with hers. Took her parents quite a long time to figure it out.

I (male) interviewed with my upper ear piercing. Actually, the only place that gave me flak was a daycamp about 16 years ago. No one has said anything about it, and that includes small firms, governments, clinics, and even a couple of businesses.

OntheVerge
  • Lawyer

I agree with @Diplock and will also point out that in a tough job market, you want to present yourself as a hire-able candidate as much as possible because the competition can be just that tough. The "do you want to work for someone who would judge you on a piercing" may be applicable advice to consider when the market isn't tight. But if it's between you and another candidate, it might boil down to who looks more "respectable" when meeting clients. Especially since it's not always what the employer thinks, but what the clients are going to think.

Having said that, I have a helix piercing. It's just a small silver hoop, it's a pain to get out and worse to get it back in, so I didn't remove it for interviews. Sometimes it wasn't visible if my hair was down, but I had my hair pulled back for most of interviews to try to look as professional as possible...and the earring was definitely visible. I didn't find it affected me in any way. But I think there's an argument to be made that even multiple ear piercings are more "accepted" than facial piercings. In the end though, you have to decide what's best for you.

TangoMango
  • Law Student

I take mine out. As does my other friend. I also make sure to cover my tattoos. I do this for interviews outside of the legal field too. I'd rather take it out to be safe then have someone make a prejudgement about me based on an easily controlled aspect of my appearance. 

I'll decide when I secure articling and get a feel for the firm if I'll wear it day to day, but I also think clients can make judgements as well and it's something I'm going to have to think about. 

fwiw - I’m considering getting a nose ring, and I’ve been an attorney for around 10 years. Granted, I’m also probably more likely to get a Beavis and Butthead tattoo than I am to appear in court in person this year. 

It just depends on the firm and the practice group. Boomer and GenX interviewers (and clients) would probably be annoyed with the piercing though. When I doubt, take it out!