Is McInnes Cooper considered a good firm?

Diskbaby997

Diskbaby997
  • Law Student

I'm currently a 1L at Dal and got an offer to work at McInnes Cooper for the summer. My future goals are to work in Toronto preferably Big Law. Should I stick with this firm to gain some experience and try my luck for the Toronto recruit next year or should I just work on doing some volunteering? The pay is about $50k annualized which would be pretty good. Would love to have some help trying to figure out the pros and cons.

Rashabon
  • Lawyer

Yes, they are a good firm. McInnes Cooper, Cox & Palmer and Stewart McKelvey, in some order or other, are considered the top three full service Atlantic Canada law firms and each of them have relationships with Toronto firms and regularly advise on Atlantic Canada related matters for those firms since none of them have offices east of Quebec. I don't really understand how a paying job as a summer student at a good law firm (which can be easily googled FYI) could ever be thought of as a worse option than "volunteering" whatever that means.

Just be mindful that there are only so many 1Ls at Dal with offers to work at McInnes Cooper so if someone from that firm is browsing this site, they can probably figure out who you are.

• Like 3

I use McInnes Cooper when I have stuff in the coastal provinces. Doesn't happen often, since no one lives there, but a couple of times a year.

CheeseToast
  • Law Student

Offer Day for large Atlantic Canadian employers was way back in January, this strikes me as BS.