Is a B+ good enough for transfer?

Diskbaby997

Diskbaby997
  • Law Student

Is a B+ average good enough to transfer to an Ontario law school like Queen's and Western.

Conge
  • Lawyer

I could be wrong, but I thought transfers between Canadian schools were largely based on need. E.g., family needs me in TO, so I want to transfer to Osgoode.

johnny.rahmbo
  • Law Student
2 hours ago, Conge said:

I could be wrong, but I thought transfers between Canadian schools were largely based on need. E.g., family needs me in TO, so I want to transfer to Osgoode.

Not true. For Ontario law schools, Osgoode is the only school that reserves spots for transfers with 'compassionate grounds'. The rest of the spots are merit based and as far as i know, Queens and Western are merit based for transfers. 

As for OP, i think a B+ may be good enough for Q+W. I would say you have a decent chance with a B+ at those schools but probably not good enough for oz and u of t (although OP didnt mention those Toronto schools). 

BlockedQuebecois
  • Lawyer
35 minutes ago, johnny.rahmbo said:

Not true. For Ontario law schools, Osgoode is the only school that reserves spots for transfers with 'compassionate grounds'. The rest of the spots are merit based and as far as i know, Queens and Western are merit based for transfers. 

As for OP, i think a B+ may be good enough for Q+W. I would say you have a decent chance with a B+ at those schools but probably not good enough for oz and u of t (although OP didnt mention those Toronto schools). 

Western explicitly lists compassionate grounds on its website under “admission considerations”, while Queens states  “[c]onsideration will be given to compelling compassionate or personal grounds supporting the application”. So it’s not right to say those schools are purely merit based. 

• Like 2

WhoKnows
  • Lawyer

It can be good enough, it can also not be. One thing people seem to forget is that the number of transfer spots available fluctuates year over year, and is basically driven by how many people leave the school you would like to transfer to. If only one person left Western this year, B+ isn't likely to do it. If 10 did, probably a better shot. 

• Like 2

johnny.rahmbo
  • Law Student
36 minutes ago, BlockedQuebecois said:

Western explicitly lists compassionate grounds on its website under “admission considerations”, while Queens states  “[c]onsideration will be given to compelling compassionate or personal grounds supporting the application”. So it’s not right to say those schools are purely merit based. 

This is true. I should have clarified further that when i applied as a transfer to Queens (prepared to but didn't end up applying to Western) the people i spoke with noted that compassion is a factor but grades are the dominant consideration. Thats my bad for not explaining properly...hadnt had my second cup of joe. I also wanted to make it clear that Oz is the only school in Ontario that specifically reserves spots for compassionate ground transfer applicants. The other schools OP mentions have just one category. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
sunnysunshine
  • Law Student

@johnny.rahmbo& others, if you happen to have any advice or info on transferring to uOttawa or Queens, does anyone know how much flexibility there is? Like, I'm guessing these schools may not even consider you if you have lower than a B+ average? I am looking to transfer to one of these as a current 1L in the Atlantic provinces.

Any suggestions on what to add in my letter? (I am attempting to make the move back closer to home for family circumstances to support them, my job, the idea that I wish to practice in ONT and write the ON Bar, as well as my significant other being based closer to these uni's...) Should these be elements of consideration from these schools you think?

On 3/18/2022 at 7:14 AM, Conge said:

Osgoode is has two categories.. compassionate and merits

Edited by luckycharm