Unsuccessful in obtaining 2L summer job so far - any other good options I should consider?

TimHortonsCup

TimHortonsCup
  • Law Student

I've been trying to land a position in Toronto but I have a B/B- average from an out of province school and so far have had no luck (I've always lived in Toronto and plan to practice here going forward). I really want to do something for the summer to strengthen my resume for articling, any suggestions?

Rashabon
  • Lawyer

What kind of work do you want to do? It may be time to start thinking about whether you have a particular interest so you can start gearing your application closer to those areas to improve your hireability.

TimHortonsCup
  • Law Student

I've tailored my application towards real estate/construction law because I have past experience and enjoy that field. I've gotten several interviews during OCI's but just haven't made it to the point of getting hired. So now my focus is just on non-oci firms that practice in that area but so far no luck.

goosie
  • Lawyer

I was in a similar position last year, eventually landed a 2L job in house in a national corporation. I always recommend setting up job alerts on Indeed and LinkedIn (things like "summer student", "law student", "legal intern"). Check your school's careers office as well for job postings. I also follow the LawJobsCan twitter account - this isn't limited to Toronto or student positions, but the account retweets any tweet mentioning law-related job opportunities in Canada, and sometimes student jobs show up there that don't show up anywhere else. I also told my most trusted mentors that I struck out in the recruit, and they passed along any student jobs they heard of.

It's tough, getting closer to summer and not having a job set in stone yet. Even so, you'll land. It always works out in the end. Just keep putting your best foot forward.

• Like 4