How to ask for days off as an intern

friedpotato

friedpotato
  • Law Student

I'm currently a 1L intern at a big law firm. 

I have a couple days off officially according to HR, but I need to get it approved first by the partners. I want to take the days off (non-medical reasons). Is this appropriate? How do I start this conversation with the partner without pissing her off? 

Thanks. 

QueensDenning
  • Articling Student

Does anyone know if 2L summer students get vacation time at the big firms? If so, how many days ? 

• Like 1

Ben
  • Law Student
16 minutes ago, QueensDenning said:

Does anyone know if 2L summer students get vacation time at the big firms? If so, how many days ? 

You could check NALP to do more thorough research than I just did, but most firms that discuss vacation time at all only mention it with respect to articling students, which makes me think that the answer is no for 2Ls. Anecdotally, I have never heard of a summer student taking vacation days. 

• Like 2

SlytherinLLP
  • Lawyer
1 hour ago, QueensDenning said:

Unless something has changed since I summered, there is no vacation time for summer students at my firm or for colleagues at other Bay Street firms. 

Edited by SlytherinLLP
  • Like 1

Goblin King
  • Law Student
9 minutes ago, SlytherinLLP said:

As an articling student you are entitled to 1 vacation day per month according to LSO rules. 

Is taking the vacation day(s) offered by a firm generally discouraged? 

• Like 1

SlytherinLLP
  • Lawyer
15 minutes ago, Goblin King said:

I've edited the above since what I said was not entirely accurate re: vacation days. 

Most Bay Street firms will provide 10 days of vacation. That is the maximum vacation entitlement allowed by the LSO (one day/month) to fulfil the articling placement requirement. 

Anecdotally from those who have finished articles last year, they took the whole 10 days at the end of their articling term. Otherwise, during the course of articling, I don't think it would be discouraged so long as it is timely, reasonable, and doesn't seriously interfere with major deadlines. 

• Like 2

OzLaw16
  • Lawyer
2 hours ago, QueensDenning said:

1 hour ago, Goblin King said:

During my 2L summer at a Bay firm, we were given a small number of vacation days (I'd rather not reveal the exact number for anonymity's sake, but it was less than 5) and we were highly encouraged to use them, at least by our student director.

• Like 3

Chief Keef
  • Lawyer
1 hour ago, Goblin King said:

I think its more discouraged by fellow students than the lawyers... the only people who seemed to care when I took my vacation days during my 2L summer were the other students, who couldn't understand how I could possibly do such a thing. "Aren't you afraid you'll look bad?" was what one of my coworkers said to me. 

When I got back the lawyers were nice and all genuinely asked how my long weekend was. Literally not a single negative vibe.

Ultimately I was the only student who took a single vacation day (and I used them all) and I guarantee you not a single lawyer will remember that the other students forewent their vacation when we return for articling. Sucks for them cause I got to go hiking and kayaking while they were stuck in the office. 

Edited by Chief Keef
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 6/21/2021 at 2:15 PM, Goblin King said:

I won't mention that topic during interview.

OzLaw16
  • Lawyer
4 hours ago, friedpotato said:

Thanks everyone. 

Those of you who did use vacation days, how did you go about asking? 

@Chief Keef

@OzLaw16

Students at my firm just had to tell our student director a few weeks in advance. Like I said, we were very highly encouraged to take them - it was basically expected of us to use them before the end of the summer. So it was a very routine ask.

As for lawyers I was working with, I never ended up having any sort of issue there. I just gave the lawyers I was working with at the time ample notice that I was taking a vacation day on X day but that I'd have my work phone with me if they needed me for something urgent. They were all fine with it, and I never ended up having to do work on the days I took (although I do know that at least a few of the other students ended up having to work on their vacation days, so that experience wasn't universal).

Rashabon
  • Lawyer
On 6/23/2021 at 7:45 AM, friedpotato said:

Thanks everyone. 

@Chief Keef

@OzLaw16

Just speak to the people you work with, and as a student, the head of your student program.

Chief Keef
  • Lawyer
On 6/23/2021 at 7:45 AM, friedpotato said:

Thanks everyone. 

@Chief Keef

@OzLaw16

I emailed the student coordinator and said "I'd like to use my days off on X-date and Y-Date, thank you"