Would a high LSAT make up for a lower cGPA with Ottawa?

mjslava

mjslava
  • Applicant

I didn’t apply for this current admissions cycle, but I’m looking at options for next year in case this year doesn’t work out.

I’ve seen a number of posts indicating that Ottawa values cGPA more so than the LSAT. I see a lot of posts of people being admitted with high cGPAs and low LSATS. In my case, I have a 3.3 cGPA and a L2 of ~3.7 with a 169 LSAT. 

Would it be fair to say that a high LSAT won’t account for a lower than stellar cGPA at Ottawa?

CleanHands
  • Lawyer

FWIW I was accepted to Ottawa with a sub-3.0 OLSAS cGPA and 173 LSAT (despite your impression of their general preferences being accurate). Same L2 as you.

Edited by CleanHands
  • Thanks 1

ElleofFrell
  • Law Student

I have the same GPA and L2 and 160 LSAT. Got in in February this year. You are good!

my scores are almost exactly the same as yours (just a one point difference in LSAT) and I got in this cycle! Best of luck to you 

blackeye
  • Applicant

i got in this cycle with a 3.05 cGPA, same L2 and 170! I think they’re becoming more holistic for sure

capricorn
  • Law School Admit

I got in with 3.39 cgpa, 3.85 l2, and 165 lsat. I applied access (for a few things but mainly undiagnosed ADHD for most of undergrad) - no way of knowing for sure if it was my access claim or my l2/lsat that gave me an edge. Also had really good ECs. So I'd echo others here and say they're probably more holistic than their reputation implies.

Edited by capricorn

capricorn
  • Law School Admit
3 minutes ago, Rashabon said:

In what universe is a high LSAT and high L2 "holistic"?

None of us are saying this makes them perfectly holistic. But the key word here is "more" holistic than purely valuing cgpa. Also, see my comment on ECs and access claims. I don't know why it's controversial to say that overlooking a weaker element of an app as a result of taking various other elements of that app into account is more holistic than purely evaluating on cgpa lmao

Rashabon
  • Lawyer

But they never purely evaluated on CGPA, that's a myth. They like a strong CGPA and they also like a high LSAT - it's clearly stated to be a significant part of the application. Also holistic means looking at things besides numbers. Yes, I agree, an access claim and ECs count towards holistic admission, but Ottawa letting in someone with a 170 LSAT and a ~3.7 L2 is not "holistic" in the sense that words have meanings that are commonly understood.

I agree it's holistic if we're just making up definitions though.

capricorn
  • Law School Admit

Obviously they never evaluated *purely* on cgpa, which I'll admit is hyperbole. But they have a reputation for prioritizing cgpa over other components of the app, which is what this thread is addressing.

Holistic means to address something as a whole instead of as parts, and overlooking a weaker part of an app (cgpa) in favour of an overall strong app seems to be *more* holistic than their aforementioned reputation. Again, it's comparative. Did you come here to nitpick or to answer OP's question?

capricorn
  • Law School Admit

@mjslava the takeaway here is that you should apply to UOttawa next cycle if this cycle doesn't work out. I'm particularly passionate about this because I almost didn't apply there because of what I'd read about cgpa being prioritized. But now it's the one school that accepted me (out of McGill/Osgoode/Queen's - haven't heard anything from any of them yet) so don't let their reputation deter you!

Kobe
  • Law Student
57 minutes ago, Rashabon said:

But they never purely evaluated on CGPA, that's a myth. They like a strong CGPA and they also like a high LSAT - it's clearly stated to be a significant part of the application. Also holistic means looking at things besides numbers. Yes, I agree, an access claim and ECs count towards holistic admission, but Ottawa letting in someone with a 170 LSAT and a ~3.7 L2 is not "holistic" in the sense that words have meanings that are commonly understood.

The L2 is mentioned nowhere as an admissions consideration. So it could be true the LSAT outweighed the cGPA and that got them accepted (and that obviously would not be holistic) but if the L2 was a consideration then that would be a holistic admissions practice, as it is quite literally going outside the admissions criteria to examine the file as a whole. 

It appears a high LSAT score can overcome low cGPA, which answers OP. I hadn't realized Uottawa would have been likely for me, I thought it was a long shot as I also have high 16x lsat/L2 with garbage cGPA. 

Edited by Kobe

blackeye
  • Applicant
23 hours ago, Rashabon said:

Ottawa letting in someone with a 170 LSAT and a ~3.7 L2 is not "holistic" in the sense that words have meanings that are commonly understood.

Ottawa claims to look at cGPA only. Like @Kobe said, they don't mention L2 anywhere. I shared mine because OP shared theirs and I wanted to establish common ground. I have a significantly weak cGPA that I had to explain in my personal statement was due to special circumstances. I said holistically because Ottawa didn't reject me based on what they focus on MOST in their admissions process, cGPA, and chose to understand my position. I'm not sure why you're so bothered by my use of "holistic" but just because I didn't share my holistic aspects (I still really haven't) in my one-sentence post aimed at reassuring OP doesn't mean people are making up definitions. Have a great day!

mjslava
  • Applicant

I appreciate the replies, everyone. It briefly makes me feel more confident despite the OCD and GAD haha

• 2 weeks later...
randomguy314
  • Law School Admit

I got in today with a 2.72 cGPA , 3.75 L2, and  168 LSAT ... 

I truly thought I stood no chance. You can do it OP! 

• Like 2

mjslava
  • Applicant
53 minutes ago, randomguy314 said:

I got in today with a 2.72 cGPA , 3.75 L2, and  168 LSAT ... 

I truly thought I stood no chance. You can do it OP! 

Nicely done, bud! Happy for you. 

• Thanks 1