# of offers

law000099

law000099
  • Law School Admit

Does u of t send out more offers than seats by the end of its 3 rounds? Fb group has like 245 members but the class was like 215 last year

LMP
  • Articling Student
57 minutes ago, AustonMatthews34 said:

Does u of t send out more offers than seats by the end of its 3 rounds? Fb group has like 245 members but the class was like 215 last year

No. All offers and waitlist positions will have been sent out by the end of round 3.

Kobe
  • Law Student
1 hour ago, AustonMatthews34 said:

The answer is yes. 

16 minutes ago, LMP said:

No. All offers and waitlist positions will have been sent out by the end of round 3.

I think this commenter misread. They need to send out more offers than seats. U of T has a high yield, I think something on the magnitude of 67%-70% from what I have seen, but even with such a high yield they know roughly 30% of people will turn them down. Its likely the amount of offers totals about 300, 300*0.7=210, this is generally how admissions works. Might be slightly less than 300 and they use the waitlist to fill from there to prevent risk of over enrollment but only someone in admissions would know the exact formula they use. 245 could be realistic, probably even on the low end. 

So their comment is true, all waitlists, acceptances, and rejections are out but it is not true that they cap the offers at 215. 

I will note even Yale, arguably the most competitive school in the world, has a sub 90% yield which means they send out more offers than they have seats. It's just a reality some people will choose not to go for a variety of reasons. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

To add onto what @Kobe has already said, the admissions rate & yield rate is publicly available and it shows that UofT quite competitive to get into:

For 2020-2021: 2,814 applications, 360 accepted (12.8% acceptance rate), 215 registered (59.7% yield) Source

For 2019-2020: 2,186 applications, 349 accepted (16% acceptance rate), 207 registered (59.3% yield) Source, page 30

I looked at past years and the rates are similar to 2019-2020.

So every year, it seems ~140 people decline their offers to UofT.

• Like 2

cocacola7531
  • Applicant
On 3/19/2022 at 3:17 AM, RagingBull said:

To add onto what @Kobe has already said, the admissions rate & yield rate is publicly available and it shows that UofT quite competitive to get into:

For 2020-2021: 2,814 applications, 360 accepted (12.8% acceptance rate), 215 registered (59.7% yield) Source

For 2019-2020: 2,186 applications, 349 accepted (16% acceptance rate), 207 registered (59.3% yield) Source, page 30

I looked at past years and the rates are similar to 2019-2020.

So every year, it seems ~140 people decline their offers to UofT.

Wow, thanks for this info! This is really helpful! 

But, how do we reconcile 140 declined offers with, what I assume, is at most 20-50 people on the waitlist? Wouldn't everyone on the waitlist eventually be admitted according to this data? Unless the waitlist has 100+ people, which seems unlikely...

scooter
  • Law Student
18 minutes ago, cocacola7531 said:

But, how do we reconcile 140 declined offers with, what I assume, is at most 20-50 people on the waitlist? Wouldn't everyone on the waitlist eventually be admitted according to this data? Unless the waitlist has 100+ people, which seems unlikely...

The schools knows that a certain number of people will decline, and this is already factored into their waitlist decisions.

For example (made up numbers for simplicity): 200 spots, 350 offers sent out. People will only be admitted off the waitlist if MORE than 150 people decline in this situation. See?

• Like 1

cocacola7531
  • Applicant
24 minutes ago, scooter said:

The schools knows that a certain number of people will decline, and this is already factored into their waitlist decisions.

For example (made up numbers for simplicity): 200 spots, 350 offers sent out. People will only be admitted off the waitlist if MORE than 150 people decline in this situation. See?

This makes a lot of sense! Totally forgot about the "if" factor. Thanks!