Half-time studies

Pastrey

Pastrey
  • Law Student

This question is for current or past students. Is there anyone here who has applied for half-time study?

How many hours a week does a 1L spend in class, looking for both full-time or half-time.

With half-time, were you able to take some of the courses over the summer to lessen how long it would take to earn your JD?

Weighing my options. I am pregnant and due at the end of July. With a newborn, I am considering asking permission to do half-time studies - at least for the first year…but being of an advanced age also wanting to complete my JD as quickly as I can.

shawarmalaw
  • Law Student

Hello, 

I just got accepted for the  2022 fall and I am planning on doing half time studies as well due to disability reasons. I contacted  this women in Ottawa about half times studied and she told me that all that matters is having good marks and that it would take 4 years to finish your degree instead of 3 because your first year workload will be spilt into 2 years. 

Your situation sounds very unique you should consider reaching to Ottawa half time studies just reach out to accessibility office they can give you the contact information. They can try to accommodate you best to your needs

• Like 1

coffeelover
  • Law School Admit
7 hours ago, Pastrey said:

This question is for current or past students. Is there anyone here who has applied for half-time study?

How many hours a week does a 1L spend in class, looking for both full-time or half-time.

With half-time, were you able to take some of the courses over the summer to lessen how long it would take to earn your JD?

Weighing my options. I am pregnant and due at the end of July. With a newborn, I am considering asking permission to do half-time studies - at least for the first year…but being of an advanced age also wanting to complete my JD as quickly as I can.

I am unsure how this process would work, but have you thought about maybe asking the university for a year deferral due to your circumstances. Double check with the university but it doesn't hurt to ask. Goodluck!

Edited by coffeelover
  • Like 1

Pastrey
  • Law Student
9 hours ago, coffeelover said:

I am unsure how this process would work, but have you thought about maybe asking the university for a year deferral due to your circumstances. Double check with the university but it doesn't hurt to ask. Goodluck!

Oh I don’t really want to defer. Law school has been my dream for many years. I am 42 and not getting any younger.

I think my mat/parental benefits eligibility will depend on how many hours a week I will be in class, so am looking for how many hours students are in class before I spend hours on the phone with ESDC :). I will reach out to the school and ask them.