Summer Job - Sort of Legal

grapefruit

grapefruit
  • Law Student

Hi,

So I'm going into my 2L Summer and struck out on the OCI Recruit and have been going through the usual cold-call/applications with not much luck. However I got offered a job in another department in my University advising student start-up companies. The thing is, the job is mostly non-legal (advising on business deliverables, managing team/mentor meetings, keeping the University updated on the company progresses, managing milestones, provide assistance constructing business pitches etc) with only a small amount of 'legal' work that is mostly non-substantive (stuff such as spotting possible legal issues to tell them to go talk to the available lawyers about). 

Would I be hurting my chances in the Articling recruit by taking this job instead of continuing to try for a more traditional "legal" 2L summer position? Or should is it better to play it safe by accepting this job in order to have something on my resume for the summer in case I am not able to secure another job other than this one?

Panda
  • Lawyer

Personally, that sounds like a fun job with neat opportunities in the future that could arise.

Unless you get a 2L job in the area in which you want to practice, I’m not convinced you’re at all hurting your chances at a future recruit. I have never hired anyone so take this with more than a grain of salt but I’d rather speak to someone in an interview who did something interesting than working at a law firm just so that they can say they worked in “law”.