Student life as a commuting student at Osgoode?

Rango416

Rango416
  • Law School Admit

Hey! As a student living in Toronto and (like many students) planning on commuting to campus during 1L next year, I was wondering: how's student life as a commuting student at Osgoode? 

I'm really excited about all of the school's academic and professional benefits such as its abundance of clinics and course offerings alongside its connection to Toronto firms. Also, after touring the campus, I was super impressed with Osgoode's building and facilities. However, as a Toronto resident, I am a bit worried that the campus's removed location (relative to downtown) and reputation as a "commuter-school" may offer a very different experience compared to other schools located in the heart of downtown (UofT, McGill, etc.) or centred in a university town (Queen's, Western, etc.) Additionally, I'm a bit worried that the school's larger student body might also offer a very different community network compared to other schools. I'm totally aware that law school is a very rigorous and focused time in your life, but I just want to make sure that the school will have opportunities to foster a close-knit community, make new friends, and have fun on/off campus as well!

All that said, I'm still super excited at the prospect of studying at Osgoode and I'd love to know your thoughts about Osgoode's student life and your overall satisfaction with your experience for better or worse!

Thanks for any advice you can offer!

Turtles
  • Law Student

This has been rehashed in previous posts. What I will add is that many social events (formal and informal) are hosted in Toronto (especially downtown) due to the dearth of cool venues actually on campus. There's a pretty rich social life for those living on campus, but that doesn't eliminate opportunities available to everyone who wants to participate. 

Bp123
  • Applicant

Is anyone able to touch on the presence of students located in Toronto? Are most 1L staying on residence or are there plenty staying in the downtown core? 

Also I looked up the commute via transit on maps and was wondering if anyone was able to touch on this aspect with current schedules and how it changes anything for yourself. 

Not from Toronto so any insight would be appreciated! 

RuleAgainstPerpetuities
14 hours ago, Bp123 said:

Is anyone able to touch on the presence of students located in Toronto? Are most 1L staying on residence or are there plenty staying in the downtown core? 

Also I looked up the commute via transit on maps and was wondering if anyone was able to touch on this aspect with current schedules and how it changes anything for yourself. 

Not from Toronto so any insight would be appreciated! 

I live in Downtown Toronto by the waterfront and commute to York. My commute is about 1 hour each way via streetcar and subway. If you can live close to Line 1 (the north/south line that goes to York) you'll have a pretty straightforward commute. 

Not sure what you're referring to re: the presence of students in Toronto. Are you asking about where the students tend to live? If so, some popular neighbourhoods include The Annex, Leslieville, Queens Park, Cabbagetown, Greektown (cheaper, but less convenient). However, real estate in Toronto is brutal and from what I understand at the moment it's difficult to find an apartment for a decent price in a good location, so you'll probably have to sacrifice one of those qualities! 

One thing I can recommend as someone who goes to York and lives in TO: If you can afford to live downtown, I would highly recommend doing so. York is isolated and most of the things you'll want to do in Toronto involve going downtown, so living at York can be a pain. That being said, it's probably the cheaper option, and if you're really dead set on getting a "dorm room" experience, I suppose that would be the only way to do it. 

• Like 1

Bp123
  • Applicant
7 hours ago, ExtraGuac said:

I live in Downtown Toronto by the waterfront and commute to York. My commute is about 1 hour each way via streetcar and subway. If you can live close to Line 1 (the north/south line that goes to York) you'll have a pretty straightforward commute. 

Not sure what you're referring to re: the presence of students in Toronto. Are you asking about where the students tend to live? If so, some popular neighbourhoods include The Annex, Leslieville, Queens Park, Cabbagetown, Greektown (cheaper, but less convenient). However, real estate in Toronto is brutal and from what I understand at the moment it's difficult to find an apartment for a decent price in a good location, so you'll probably have to sacrifice one of those qualities! 

One thing I can recommend as someone who goes to York and lives in TO: If you can afford to live downtown, I would highly recommend doing so. York is isolated and most of the things you'll want to do in Toronto involve going downtown, so living at York can be a pain. That being said, it's probably the cheaper option, and if you're really dead set on getting a "dorm room" experience, I suppose that would be the only way to do it. 

Thank you this is what I was looking for I appreciate it! 

OntheVerge
  • Lawyer

Lots of students live around St. Clair and Bathurst. There are a few new condo towers and apartment buildings that are rented out, as well as converted houses into separate apartments. It's close to the subway line and lots of restaurants, pubs, farmer's markets, stores, grocery stores, coffee shops, a ravine, etc. within walking distance. Commute from that area to YorkU was about 15-20 minutes now that the subway runs straight up. 

BruiserWoods
  • Law Student

Osgoode is a larger law school, but the sections are only around 70 people each, so if you are reasonably outgoing and attend social events, you feel like part of a community.

Worth noting, however, outside of structured social gatherings, people tend to spend more time with those who live closer to them (obvious? maybe).

Edited by BruiserWoods

• 2 weeks later...
halamadrid
  • Law Student

1L here. Oz does kinda feel like a commuter law school but there there are a lot of things to do in terms of extracurriculars and people do make plans on Fridays, etc. I'll agree with BruiserWoods that people who generally live close-ish tend to spend more time with one another but I don't think you should be worried. I drive to campus everyday and I don't feel like I'm missing out on much. 

Glamurosa
  • Law School Admit
On 4/18/2022 at 12:42 PM, halamadrid said:

1L here. Oz does kinda feel like a commuter law school but there there are a lot of things to do in terms of extracurriculars and people do make plans on Fridays, etc. I'll agree with BruiserWoods that people who generally live close-ish tend to spend more time with one another but I don't think you should be worried. I drive to campus everyday and I don't feel like I'm missing out on much. 

Is there places to park near campus that are free?

halamadrid
  • Law Student
On 4/19/2022 at 2:02 PM, Glamurosa said:

Is there places to park near campus that are free?

I doubt there's free parking at York or even nearby. I'd bite the bullet its worth it.